Jeff pole vaulter inches closer to Purdue deal (IN)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jeff pole vaulter inches closer to Purdue deal (IN)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:32 am

http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /705090348

Jeff pole vaulter inches closer to Purdue deal
By TOM KUBAT
tkubat@journalandcourier.com

For the past two years, Lafayette Jeff's Kristen Bond cleared 11 feet in the pole vault and finished ninth at the state track and field meet.

Before this season, she cleared 11-6 in practice and then on Friday she did it again during an invitational at Indianapolis Tech. Bond followed that up with a meet-record jump of 11-41/2 Tuesday to win the Hoosier Crossroads Conference at Jeff's John Scheumann Stadium.

"This past week, the top of my jump, something clicked, and it's becoming a lot easier," said Bond, a senior. "I don't know what happened."

But then her next words revealed the possible secret to her recent success.

"I got a new pole. It's six inches longer than my other pole," said Bond, who was seeded first. "And I just ordered another one that's six inches longer, so hopefully 12 feet will be coming soon.

"It's the same exact weight, just six inches longer. I just move my step back about six inches, so it's not too hard to change poles."

Bond has been told by Purdue coaches that if she clears 12 feet this season she'll be awarded a scholarship, instead of having to walk on with the Boilermakers.

"No pressure," she said, smiling. "That was one of my goals for this year anyway, to hit 12. So I'm just having fun with it."

IndyCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby IndyCoach » Wed May 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Good Luck Kristen! It has been fun watching you continue to grow as a Vaulter.

Return to “Heartland Region”