Sonya Healy Article (NH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sonya Healy Article (NH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:11 pm

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/exet ... /35257.htm

Healy set for track season

By Ken Stejbach
kstejbach@seacoastonline.com

EXETER - Sonya Healy is on her way up.

Hopefully over new heights in the pole vault for the Exeter High School girls track and field team this spring. But that’s not the only event Healy has going for herself.

The 17-year-old junior from East Kingston is also an adept hurdler (100- and 300-meter hurdles) and sprinter (4x100- and 4x400-meter relays), and does well in other field events like the high jump.

She also did very well in last year’s end-of-season heptathlon championships, where she placed 24th.

Mostly, though, it’s her teammates she talks about, the fun she has with her teammates and meeting fellow competitors from other schools.

Track and field, to Healy, is all about a "whole a lot of teamwork."

"She’s one of those kids who connects well with other kids," says assistant coach Laura Smith, who directs the girls team. "It’s great to have upper classmen that are that way."

This is Healy’s third season of track and field. It’s her sole sport.

For 10 years prior she was involved in gymnastics at the competitive levels. She made it to Level 8 (10 is tops) till back problems made her pause to rest. After resting, however, she decided the time commitment and stress on her body was a bit too much to continue.

"But I still miss it," she says.

Photo by Ken Stejbach

She was a freshman at Exeter when she decided to come out for track and field.

"Coach (Jeff) Holmes convinced me to come out for track," says Healy.

It was an instant match for Healy, who loves the team aspect, camaraderie and fitness elements. She also enjoy the variety of events. "If you’re not good at one, you can always do another," says Healy.

"She likes track a lot," says Smith. "She’s had success with it right from her freshman year."

Mostly in the pole vault when she cleared 7 feet, 6 inches in her last meet of the season. Last year she not only won the Seacoast League championship with a vault of 8-0, she finished in the top five at the annual freshman-sophomore meet.

Her goal this season, she says, is to clear "9 feet or something," and she notes she wants to "keep trying to go as high as I can."

This past summer she even attended a pole vault camp at Timberlane Regional High School. Yes, there are pole vault camps out there, a lot of them, says Healy.

"She loves the pole vault," says Smith. "She’d like to pole vault every day if possible."

Smith added, "she has a great work ethic. She’s very determined. She sets goals at the beginning of the season and works hard to get them."

Mostly through competition.

She says she loves to compete because it puts pressure on you, and she says she does better under pressure.

To help the team.

That’s what it always reverts back to for Healy.

Return to “New England Region”