Brenna Bean recovering from car accident (Mass)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brenna Bean recovering from car accident (Mass)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ss ... a_bea.html

Pole vault champion Brenna Bean looking to clear biggest challenge of young life
Published: Friday, September 17, 2010, 11:26 AM Updated: Friday, September 17, 2010, 11:39 AM
Russ Held, The Republican

Brenna Bean has never been afraid of a challenge.

And good thing. She now faces the toughest of her life.

The 18-year-old Whately resident is recovering from serious injuries following an automobile accident late last month. The two-time sectional pole vault champion and June graduate of Frontier Regional School in South Deerfield sustained serious internal injuries and a spinal cord injury that has affected feeling in her legs.

“She is a fierce competitor ... she has always been willing to put the time in, the commitment to get better at what she’s doing,” Frontier’s athletic director Marty Sanderson said.

“She is very spirited, a real pleasant kid off the field but very, very determined when she is competing.” Sanderson said.

Bean was a two-time first-team All-Scholastic choice of The Republican, honoring her as one of the region’s top track and field athletes.

She won back-to-back titles in the pole vault at the All-Western Massachusetts Championships, and she finished in 10th place at the All-State Championships in June.

“She is exactly the type of person you want to compete against,” said Ludlow’s Taylor Robitaille, who finished second to Bean at All-Western Mass. “She’d congratulate you every time, even if she wasn’t having a good day. Her parents were always there supporting her. It was fun to be around her.”

All three of Bean’s top finishes took place at Westfield State College, where she is enrolled for the first semester of her freshman year.

Bean was transferred Monday from Baystate Medical Center in Springfield to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston. The rehabilitation process is expected to be extensive and lengthy.

“Her spirits have been great, she’s making us laugh,” family friend Chris White of South Deerfield said.

A fund has been established to help cover medical expenses during her rehabilitation. Donations to the Brenna Bean Fund can be made at any branch of People’s United Bank, in care of Kathy Guy.

Scheduled fund-raisers include a benefit concert/dance, scheduled for Oct. 16 at the Yankee Candle fitness center, and a spaghetti supper on Nov. 6 at the Polish American Citizens Club in South Deerfield.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Brenna Bean recovering from car accident (Mass)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:38 am

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/fran ... renna-bean

Updated: Saturday, 16 Oct 2010, 11:26 PM EDT
Published : Saturday, 16 Oct 2010, 9:20 PM EDT

Jackie Bruno
SOUTH DEERFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - A benefit concert was held in South Deerfield Saturday night to raise money for the rehabilitation of a local athlete.

Brenna Bean was injured in a car accident on August 27th. She suffered three spinal fractures and her legs are impaired. She now faces months of rehabilitation.

Saturday, her family and friends held this benefit concert to help pay for her recovery.

Brenna was a pole vaulting champion at Frontier Regional High School.

Her aunt Frostine Bean told 22News more about why this young woman is so special. "I went to see her last week and the thing that struck me the most is that kid is tough. She's tougher than nails. She's given a lot to the community. She was a star athlete and a student at Frontier. She graduated in June. It's just so heart warming to see the community giving back to her now."

Hundreds of people turned out to hear the music and help their friend and neighbor Brenna Bean.

Return to “New England Region”