Meets in late August close to Canada

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

heather3
PV Newbie
Expertise: Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.25m

Meets in late August close to Canada

Unread postby heather3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:33 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any vault competitions in mid-late august (other than beach or street vaults), preferably in a state closer to Canada. I'm a Canadian vaulter coming off a mid-season injury, looking to jump some carding standards in August, and unfortunately we only have one twilight meet here during that month. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Meets in late August close to Canada

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 am

There are all-comers meet in Bellingham, WA on Mondays through the end of August, but I am not sure how seriously Athletics Canada would take those marks since they don't publish them.

There are all-comers meet near Seattle on Wednesdays through August 12, these are USATF sanctioned and the meet director is Bill Roe (former USATF president) so the results are much more legit.

It would be helpful if you posted which coast you are on. Plus then I'll know which forum to move this to.

heather3
PV Newbie

Unread postby heather3 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks Becca. I'm on the east coast (I live in Toronto, Ontario). But if there are no sanctioned meets in driving range, I am considering flying somewhere. I will keep Seattle in mind, and if anyone knows of any meets closer to home I'll look for those first. Thanks for your help!

montréal perche
PV Newbie
Expertise: Master vaulter, Level 3 coach (jumps)

Unread postby montréal perche » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 am

In Québec, We have some meets that could be of use to you, Heather.
august 6th twilight in Montréal
august 14th twilight in Sherbrooke.
Aren't you going to the Canada games?
I send Jason a e-mail about it.
Ambroise in Montréal

heather3
PV Newbie

Unread postby heather3 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Ambroise,

No I won't be at Canada Summer Games because I couldn't compete at the trials (Ontario provincials). It was the weekend after nationals, and I was supposed to be at FISU but had to pull out because of my injury. I'm healing up nicely now and want to compete in August, but they won't take me for summer games because I didn't jump in the trials. Thanks for the meet info. I will consider the Sherbrooke meet on the 14th. It's just a bit of a drive. Thanks though!

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:22 am

Jeff Hayhoe just announced a pole vault competition on July 21st at York. Go to the Pole Vault Canada website (forum) for details. Also, if you still need a standard in August, I would recommend Sherbrooke for sure. It is a pretty good place to jump. Another option is to call the OTFA and get a sanction to hold a twilight meet or two yourself. I used to do it all the time. There are lots of people who will come out if you set it up. Good luck!
My motto is like my blood type: B+.

Return to “New England Region”