Cory Calamari one of state’s best pole vaulters (CT)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Cory Calamari one of state’s best pole vaulters (CT)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm

http://zip06.theday.com/blogs/mystic_ti ... lters.aspx

Head Over Heels For Extreme Competition: Fitch’s Calamari one of state’s best pole vaulters
Posted by Interactive Desk on Feb 18 2009, 02:29 PM
At any given moment during a Fitch track and field meet, you can see Falcon senior Cory Calamari calmly and randomly execute a backflip as easily as the average person would clap his or her hands.

“That’s one way I psych myself up—with backflips,” Calamari said. “It gets me pumped up and helps get me into the zone.”

Calamari may rate as one of the more unique standout track athletes in ECC history. Track observers can recall many past superior performers who were sullen, withdrawn, intense, and single-mindedly in tune with their own performance. “Focused” is the politically correct term for these talented loners.

In contrast, during down time between his jumping and pole vaulting, Calamari can be seen smiling and shooting the breeze with opponents, teammates, and spectators without much of a care in the world.

“I like to have fun, yet at the same time be competitive,” he said.

You would never guess he is perhaps the state’s best pole vaulter and the leader of Fitch’s boys’ indoor track Eastern Connecticut Conference state championship team.

“Cory is a very interesting young man,” Fitch coach Rich Kosta said. “He has a wide range of interests. What he did at the ECC Meet was notable because he sacrificed for the team.”

Calamari won the pole vault at 14 feet and just missed clearing the ECC indoor record of 15 meet, set by state recold holder Jordan Thull of East Lyme in 2006. If he did not expend energy to win the high jump and finish third in the long jump, Calamari would have held a better chance to reach 15 feet, as he did in the Hartford Public Invitational last month.

“My objective in the ECC meet was to help us win the Large Division title,” Calamari said. “In the states, I will bring my ‘A’ game to the pole vault as I expect the same from the competition.”

The 5-foot-10 Calamari exhibits body control and strength of a gymnast to go along with speed—key ingredients for pole vaulting. Another positive trait for flying through the air at 15 feet and landing on your back is a daredevil attitude. Despite his athletic ability, Calamari never gravitated toward ball sports, preferring X-Games-like activities.

“I’m into extreme types of athletics like parkour [urban gymnastics such as running up the side of buildings],” Calamari said. “I like sports that are different, exhilarating, and get your blood pumping. My pole vaulting coach, David Daigneault, tells every pole vaulter if you’re going to be afraid of being so high in the air, you shouldn’t compete. You can’t be afraid of this.”

As a freshman, when Calamari watched Thull dazzle the ECC and state championships with record-setting pole vaults (15-9 3/4 outdoors), he finished ninth in the Class L meet as the division’s top freshman at 11-6. Calamari has steadily improved to finish fourth in Class L outdoors at 12 feet and second last year in both Class L at 14-6 and the State Open at 14 feet.

He pays respect to Thull but not awe-struck homage.

“When people say I jump so high and do things that remind them of Thull, it’s a good thing,” Calamari said. “He’s an incredible performer. But at the same time, I don’t want to put a limit on myself. I want to be able to be better than Jordan.”

Calamari is practicing on upgrading to a new pole that could allow him to soar well past 15 feet. “If I get my speed up, become a little stronger, and make sure my plant is right on, I could challenge the record,” he said. “Indoors, it might take a 14-6 jump on the first try or maybe 15 to win. The best in the state, Matt Alexander of Windham Tech, graduated, but there are still good pole vaulters around like Kevin Gibrault of Woodstock, Cole Crotta of Amity, and Seth Auger of Plainfield.”

True to his easy-going nature, Calamari is friendly and supportive to all of his competitors.

“You make friends during pole vaulting because it is truly a unique event,” Calamari said. “Everyone helps each other out and you want to see the competition do well. That pushes you. It’s like a circle. They do well, and it motivates you to do well.”

Thull earned a scholarship to Division I Northeastern University and Alexander earned a full-ride to UConn. Calamari believes he will enter their stratosphere this track season and is weighing Division I offers.

“Hopefully I’ll get the numbers to land some financial aid for college,” Calamari said.

And you can bet he’ll do a backflip if it all pans out.

By Larry Kelley
Special to the Times

Return to “New England Region”