Garrett Harms sets Newburyport pole vault record (MA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Garrett Harms sets Newburyport pole vault record (MA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:37 pm

http://www.newburyportnews.com/pusports ... d=topstory

Vaunted Vaulter: Harms sets Newburyport pole vault record

By Dan Guttenplan , Sports editor
Daily News of Newburyport
SOUTH HAMILTON - Newburyport's pole vault records are falling in fast order this season.

Clippers senior Garrett Harms became the second Newburyport athlete to set a school record in as many meets yesterday, tying a record (12-1) previously shared by three Newburyport alumni. Clippers junior Meghann Ronan broke the girls team's record (9-7) in a tri-meet last Thursday.

Harms, who is a captain of Newburyport's indoor and outdoor track teams, eclipsed his previous best vault of 11-1 by 11 inches.

"I had a goal to do that eventually, but I wasn't expected it (yesterday)," Harms said. "The (pole vault) has been low on the list of priorities this season."

Harms, a returning All-CAL selection, placed second at last year's Class D Championships in the pole vault. Yesterday's vault gives him this season's top performance in the CAL.

Harms has neglected training for the event, he said, choosing instead to focus on the 100- and 300-meter hurdles and high jump. Prior to last Saturday, he had yet to train under Newburyport pole vault coach Patrick Ronan, Meghann's father.

"By the time he was done practicing his other events, he was too tired to come over and start vaulting," Ronan said.

Still, Harms is undefeated in the event this season.

"Unfortunately, the pole vault has been getting the shaft," Harms said. "But (Coach Ronan's) earned my faith. I'm going to give him two solid practices per week now."

A top notch student, Harms is ranked seventh out of his class of 185 with a GPA of 3.75. The National Honor Society member is also a member of the Newburyport outdoor track team's record-holding 4 x 100 relay team along with Eric Peterson, Pat Sheehan and Tom Svirsky.

Last winter, he set indoor track school records in the hurdles en route to winning a CAL title. He was also a member of the NHS school record-setting 4 x 200 team.

Up in Harms

Name: Garrett Harms

School: Newburyport High

Year: Senior

Sport: Track

Accomplishment: Tied school record (12-0) in the pole vault

Return to “New England Region”