Patriot Pole Vault Club (MA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Patriot Pole Vault Club (MA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:46 am

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:20 pm

Coach Lang does the GREATEST Quagmire impression!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Patriot Pole Vault Club (MA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 pm

http://www.telegram.com/article/2009082 ... 005/NEWS06

Westboro is launch pad for pole vaulters
Club lets all levels take a leap

By Pam Pollan CORRESPONDENT

WESTBORO — Jim Tylock likes to fly.

The Shrewsbury resident, now in his 40s, was a high school and collegiate pole vaulter and competes in masters-level pole vaulting today, thanks to the Patriot Pole Vault Club.

“Pole vaulting gives me the drive, incentive to stay in shape and compete with the best in my age group and kids half my age. Without the PPVC facilities and coaches, I would never have had this opportunity to vault again,” said Mr. Tylock, who also has two daughters who vault.

The privately owned, year-round club offers opportunities for beginner to expert vaulters ages 10 and up, with a chance to practice techniques to improve speed on the runway, planting, turning, landing and more, Lang said. In the summer, members met casually at Westboro High School to practice and get feedback to improve skills. In the winter, they practice at Hit Quarters, a gym in Shrewsbury.

“My favorite thing about being a member of Patriot Pole Vault Club is the fact that even though most of us compete against each other in various meets, we help each other out at the meets. We have formed very good relationships with each other, and we always welcome new people in. During meets where we are competing against each other we help catch (critique) each other’s steps, and we give tips to improve someone’s next jump,” Rebecca Tylock, Mr. Tylock’s daughter said.

Coach Doug Lang, who coaches pole vaulting at Westboro High and acts as a volunteer coach at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, started the privately owned club in 2000, with a goal to make, not spend money, he jokes.

“I work to support my coaching habit,” Mr. Lang said.

With many poles from his private collection, the club is supported by member’s dues, fees for renting poles out to various schools and private contributions, he said. The club’s collection of poles numbers over 200 during the summer and about 40 during the school year, when many are in use by schools, Lang said. Before the introduction of fiberglass poles in the 1960s, vaulters used bamboo and metal poles.

“Going up when I pole vault is somehow both incredibly exhilarating and peaceful at the same time. It’s somewhere between going on a roller coaster and what I imagine flying is like,” said Forrest Xiao, who graduated from Westboro High School and is a junior at Washington University of St. Louis, Mo.

The club hosts three USA Track and Field-approved “Vaultamas” events in the summer. The club can be serious about the sport; members attend various meets, but members also know how to have fun. They attend the York Beach Vault and, on Aug.28, some members will attend the MIT Prom Vault, wearing tuxes and gowns, the first of its kind, the club’s Web site says.

On Mondays and Wednesdays in the summer, Coaches Ingrid Gustafson and Coach Ignacio “Iggy” Arguello offer speed and strength training “to get in shape for fall sports or to get more of a collegiate workout,” Mr. Lang said.

The club’s coaches come from all over. Gustafson coaches at Shrewsbury High School, Arguello at Wayland High School, Chris Coombs at Tufts University and Marlboro High School, Mike O’Malley at Wachusett Regional High School and Ken Peterson at Algonquin Regional High School. Luke Goossen of Woburn also coaches.

“One of the things that I really like about Patriot is the way that practices are run, especially during the summer and fall. Unlike regular season practices, these off-season practices become your time to practice the things that you want to improve on,” said Lauren Harris, who recently graduated from Westboro High. “The coaches help you and give you drills to do for these things, and your individual workout focuses on the things you need to improve on, rather than just being a generic workout for a huge group of vaulters.

“The other reason I like the way practices are run is because of the (relatively) laid-back atmosphere, which makes it so easy to meet new people, make new friends, and just have an awesome time. The balance between social and athletic time is perfect for me, and I always love being at practice,” she said.

“Besides the atmosphere, I really like the way the club is set up,” said Forrest Xiao at a recent practice. Xiao vaulted for Westboro High School and now for Washington State University. “There are a bunch of coaches, so there are a lot eyes watching the same vault, and between all of them, you know you are getting the best advice.

“Then there are mentors, who help out with performing and teaching some of the drills, and are a great resource for the younger vaulters. I also like that there are so many pole vaulters from different parts of New England, and it’s always interesting to vault with someone new,” he said.

There are other pole vault clubs in New England, including MIT Pole Vault Club, Skyjumpers in Connecticut, New England Pole Vault Club in Newton and Airtime Athletic Club in Natick, Lang said.

“We’re friends with other clubs and share ideas and equipment,” Lang said.

People join PPV because it’s more convenient, with less travel time, and it’s more affordable than other clubs, Mr. Lang said.

“Our rule of thumb is everyone gets to vault, whether they can afford it or not,” he said.

For more information, visit http://www.patriotpv.com or contact Mr. Lang at (774) 276-1617 or by e-mail at coachdoug@patriotpv.com.

ingridg
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Club Coach

Re: Patriot Pole Vault Club (MA)

Unread postby ingridg » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks for posting the article! Here's a picture of Jim Tylock in action from Vaultarama Image

Return to “New England Region”