Empire State Games aim for 2013 return

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 am

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... /303260059

9:16 PM, Mar. 26, 2012 | Comments

Written by
JAMES JOHNSON
Staff writer

The foundation that wants to revive the Empire State Games has a logo for the Olympic-style competition.

More importantly, the lead organizer has confidence that the summer Empire State Games for amateur athletes will make a comeback July 24-28 of 2013 in the Rochester area.

“I think we’ve surrounded ourselves with people with high-energy and statewide reach,” Empire State Sports Foundation chief operating officer Scott Bell said.

“We can make it happen.”

The summer Empire State Games took place for 31 consecutive years until cuts in the state budget shut down the event in 2009.

Corporate sponsorship revived the games with a pay-for-play model for athletes in Buffalo and Niagara Falls during 2010. No solution to raise the $1.5 million to $2 million needed to fund the event was found when Rochester was scheduled to host in 2011.

Bell said that Sen. Charles Schumer, Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-Fairport, and state Assemblyman Joseph Morelle, D-Irondequoit, recently helped speed the foundation’s application for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service.

Bell said that should help the foundation’s fundraising efforts this time around.

“We should have our hands on a 501 (c) (3) very soon,” Bell said.

The state’s Office of Park, Recreation and Historic Preservation, which ran the games for more than three decades, claimed that host cities received an economic impact of $8 million to $12 million.

Colleges liked to host Empire State Games athletes, coaches and competitions because it aided recruitment, since it put hundreds of people on their campuses.

Between 5,500 and 6,000 athletes from six regions of the state competed in the games each year.

“My roles is to bring the games back and have them be second to none,” said Bell, 44.

Athletes will have to pay to compete in the 2013 event. Bell hopes the fee is $30-$40.

The foundation plans to step up marketing for the games, including the use of social media.

Bell said there is a committee of business executives, former competitors and other advisors in-place, and that he has met recently with officials who coordinate the athletes and coaches in each of the state’s regions.

“He’s contacting the right people,” former games director and advisory committee member Fred Smith said. “He wants to stay on that similiar type of path we were on with the Games.

“If the Empire State Games are to come back, I think his organization is the one to do it. If there is a two- or three-year wait, any interest may wane by then.”

Donparetta
PV Newbie
Expertise: 36 years as a HS, Div. I and Div. III coach
Lifetime Best: 3.12m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jared O'Connor

Re: Empire State Games aim for 2013 return

Unread postby Donparetta » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:44 pm

My name is Don Paretta, former HS and College coach in the Capital District. I am willing to help in any way I can. Please don't hesitate to call on me for any reason. paretdon@excite.com

Return to “Northeast Region”