Michael Rivard prepares mentally (NJ)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Michael Rivard prepares mentally (NJ)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

http://www.courierpostonline.com/articl ... 1002/RSS02

Notebook: Haddonfield vaulter prepares mentally
BY GUS OSTRUM • COURIER-POST STAFF • FEBRUARY 15, 2010

The specialty of pole vaulting is 95 per cent mental preparation, said Haddonfield senior standout Michael Rivard.

Rivard should know. He is clearly one of the best in New Jersey, and according to Haddonfield assistant coach Kyle Williams, he is consistent, talented and a workaholic.

"Pole vaulting is almost like a full-time job for him -- he gives it everything he has, and his results have been amazing," said Williams, who is also the Bulldawgs' outdoor head track coach. "When the facilities are available to practice, you can't get him to go home at times. He's that dedicated."

The results, as Williams noted, have been consistent the past few seasons. Rivard played a big role in the Bulldawgs' winning the Group 2 state outdoor championship last season, tying for second place in the state with a 13-6 vault at South Plainfield. A week earlier, he captured the South Jersey Group 2 sectional title with a 14-0 vault.

This season, he owns the state's top indoor pole vault mark, clearing 15-0 at the Marine Corps Holiday Classic at the Armory in New York in December.

But back to the psychological aspect of the sport.

Rivard, who recently signed a letter of intent to attend and compete in track at the U.S. Naval Academy, doesn't back down from his assertion that he needs to be mentally prepared each time he enters pole vaulting competition.

"Without question it's 95 per cent mental," said Rivard, also a talented wide receiver and placekicker for Haddonfield's football team. "All the physical training is done well before a meet, so that doesn't change once a meet starts. When you step up, your success depends on how you feel at that moment, what's going on around you at the time and so forth. You better have the confidence level to pull it off."

Heading into this weekend's sectional championships at the Bennett Athletic Complex in Toms River, Rivard is an odds-on favorite to win a South Jersey title and possibly a state crown the following weekend.

But it hasn't been easy. Because of the inclement weather the past few weeks, Rivard has had little practice time, which can only take place on the pole vaulting facility outdoors at Haddonfield's football stadium.

"The track meets themselves have pretty much been his practice sessions," said Williams. "It's hard to develop your routine and consistency when you can't practice like you do in any other sport."

Added Rivard: "I've had just one practice session at the high school, so it's been a little tough. It does affect your results somewhat, but I'm hoping to pick up the pace with the sectionals and states coming up. I'm confident everything will work out."

Return to “Northeast Region”