PA camps?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

z3k
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter

PA camps?

Unread postby z3k » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 am

Anyone know of any camps in PA coming up relatively soon?

I'm new to the state, so I don't really know any of the camps.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Re: PA camps?

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 am

Penn State has a great track and field camp, run by D1 coaches and elite vaulters.
Mike Larke has one, (Vertical assault) 2008 coach of the year
Lance atkins has one. (fiberbenders) sarafian's old coach

z3k
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby z3k » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Do you have dates for any of these?

And costs too?

CLCPV04
PV Whiz

Unread postby CLCPV04 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:19 pm

http://www.verticalassault.org

Vertical Assault has year round classes going on. There is also on overnight summer camp July 26th-29th, 2009.The overnight camp is held at a local university and features 6 pole vault pitts. The facilities feature super mondo x, raised runways and superior smart classrooms and lecture halls.

You can email them from the website for more info etc
Last edited by CLCPV04 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:14 pm

PSU camp is $395 for resident camper, $320 for commuter camper. Its a great opportunity to meet coaches and learn from the best of the best. Generally University camps are very well funded, have excellent facilities as well as opportunities that some clubs don't have access to.

http://www.outreach.psu.edu/psu-sport-c ... _about.htm

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Without a doubt Skyjumpers will give you the most bang for your buck. There is one at Kutztown University this July. The info is at skyjumpers.com under camps.

I went to the camp the summer before my junior year and by the end of my next track season I had increased my pr by three feet (9 feet to 12 feet), and I didn't have a high school coach. I give credit to everything I learned at skyjumpers. :yes:

There are plenty of coaches, and I believe there are 7 or 8 pits run with two coaches at each pit. Plus, there is an awesome gymnastics area with a bunch pole vault specific equipment. Jan Johnson (who runs the camp) shows the campers tons of awesome video during film review sessions.

Bottom line: If you want to improve, network with a lot of coaches and athletes, have access to top notch coaches and equipment, learn valuable skills, learn more about the vault world than you ever knew and have an awesome time YOU NEED TO GO TO SKYJUMPERS.

Oh and I guess it helps that Jan's daughter Chelsea who is coached by Jan is a 15'6 jumper.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm

The Slippery Rock clinic has been good for the past 2 years, but is a little crowded.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Thu May 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Westminster is hosting two camps, one from July 15-18, and the other, for commuters only, is from July 19-22. I will be much more personal than some of the bigger camps, and it is taught by Bradi Rhoades, a former Slippery Rock vaulter who jumped 16'3". It's $350 for over-nighters and $275 for commuters. Westminster is about 25 minutes northeast of Slippery Rock.

Return to “Northeast Region”