Mike Kuhns inching toward title (PA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mike Kuhns inching toward title (PA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:35 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyn ... 17187.html

Valley pole vaulter inching toward title
By Paul Kogut, VALLEY NEWS DISPATCH
Saturday, March 21, 2009

Valley senior Mike Kuhns knows the dangers of pole vaulting, but he likes the thrill of rising high above the ground.

So, he stares fear right in the face.

"I'm really kind of terrified of it sometimes," Kuhns said. "When the wind starts blowing, it can be hard to run toward the pit. I fell a couple of times down into the box."

Despite the challenges, Kuhns is intent on rising to the top at the WPIAL Class AA championships this year after finishing second last season.

Kuhns cleared 13 feet, 6 inches, as did New Brighton's Chad Lemon and Waynesburg's Nick Patton. Lemon, who's graduated, won the WPIAL title because he had fewer misses.

Kuhns said he's been vaulting between 13 and 14 feet during practice. Last year, he reached a personal-best 14-6 in practice.

"I would love to do the pole vault in college," Kuhns said. "I'm hoping for a scholarship to come my way."

Kuhns will get his chance over the coming months. The WPIAL track and field regular season started Friday.

Riverview senior Matt Springer also will be pursuing WPIAL gold after finishing second in the 3,200-meter run at last season's Class AA finals.

Versatile Valley senior Anthony Saunders finished fourth in the 200 and fifth in the long jump last year.

Other local Class AA athletes to watch include: Apollo-Ridge's Clay Altemose, who was third in the 800, and a trio from Freeport -- Nick Gentile (fourth, 800), Miles Smolic (fifth, discus) and John Douglas (fifth, shot put). Standing 6-5, Smolic's wingspan contributes to his potential.

In Class AAA, Kiski Area senior Jeff Jackson returns to defend his WPIAL title in the 300 hurdles.

Jackson won the championship in 38.87 seconds and might have a shot at the WPIAL-meet record of 38.36, which was set by Woodland Hills' Steve Breaston in 2001. Breaston is now an Arizona Cardinals receiver and kick returner.

Fox Chapel senior Matt Kann is another local Class AAA standout. Last season, Kann captured the WPIAL title in the discus and finished third in the state.

It appears the biggest obstacle standing between Kann and a PIAA title is Connellsville's Rodney Richter, the defending state champion. All of the other top seven finishers graduated.

Other area Class AAA athletes to keep an eye on are: Plum's Jeff Robinson, who took third in the 100 at the WPIAL finals; Knoch's Brian Tackett, who placed fourth in the 800; and Kiski Area's Jordan Talmadge, who was fifth in the javelin.

Return to “Northeast Region”