Maryland Vault Club

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Maryland Vault Club

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Is anybody seriously interested in organizing a vault club in the Baltimore/Columbia area this Summer? I would be ecstatic if we could get anything, doesn't matter how small or how often, up and running by the end of June. I don't know of ANY opportunities such as this anywhere in the state, but if you know of a club somewhere, please let me know. If you'd be interested in joining, coaching, helping out, know a good location, or you've got a couple good connections, pm me or email me here: REDACTED

Thank you!
Last edited by powerplant42 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

primetime614
PV Wannabe
Expertise: "Soul" Vaulter - choose academics over athletics in college :/

Unread postby primetime614 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:32 am

well the big hurdle you gotta clear here is finding somebody that has equipment, clubs and individuals are not allowed to use school equipment out of season!!!

here are clubs, camps, clinics, i know of for summer

vertical assault - bethleham, pa (club and camp)
apex
sky jumpers camp - kutztown
fiberbenders
slippery rock camp - slippery rock, pa north of pittsburg
coach bill athely runs pv clinic during the summer, in the winter and spring he has ran them out of pg sportsplex, wednesday & sunday $20 a day, usually until everyone's done vaulting like 5 hours max.

and this is why maryland isnt that good at pv, how many clubs are there in MD?

ZERO!!!
PR: 13'6"
Dist. Runner: Hey, are you ganna win today?
Me: What else would I do Lose!?!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:23 pm

That's why I want to set something up. Maybe at a community college or something like that. PG is a long ways from here, and I don't even have my permit... USATF Clubs aren't that expensive to open... all I really need is a suitable location and somebody willing to help me out a little bit. I can NOT go through another summer without consistent vaulting, and I'm sure many MD kids feel the same way.

Martin
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Re: Maryland Vault Club

Unread postby Martin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:28 pm

I can talk to my coach at UMBC in starting a club
UMBC
Central AZ College/2008 outdoor njcaa national champion;
PVCC
CGUHS /2006 AZ state champion

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 pm

That'd be great, let me know!

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:27 pm

I've been thinking about starting one, at the very least I'll be practicing at UMBC all summer (till the end of July), mainly getting back to basics. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to jump with me. I'm not sure if I feel up to the task of coaching a club yet (I'd like to down the road) but, like I said I'll be jumping till the end of July, and if you want to come down and jump too, cool!
-Nick

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:57 am

Cool! I'll be there, just PM me with some more info I guess! :D

How exciting!

Martin
PV Beginner

Unread postby Martin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:17 pm

haha hey nick...yea il be here til july too... so lets vault. other guy, where are you from? pm me your number
UMBC
PVCC

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm basically just a kid looking to vault somewhere where there's nobody to tell me to grip wider or people that mess with my ego. :P

Martin
PV Beginner

Unread postby Martin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 am

ha sounds good. dont forget to pm me bud
UMBC
PVCC

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Well, what's our status? Do we have some sort of green light from someone in an authority position?

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sat May 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Not yet, the season is still underway, and now is not the time to discuss it with the higher ups. Also, I'm in the process of trying to work out other details which, I'm afraid to say, take precedent at the moment. At the very least I can give you a hand sometime at your high school or something. For you to jump with me somewhere else, like a college or PG or wherever, we would need insurance through USATF, and I think I need to be a club coach for that. However right now I am a member of a club in upstate NY, and I would have to switch clubs, associations, and start a new club down here. I definitely plan on spending my summer training in the vault at UMBC, and do plan to start a club, I just don't know how soon I can do the club. Maybe I can look into having practices somewhere and calling it a "clinic" or something, but I can't make promises on the availability of facilities I don't own (like UMBC). I'll post something when I know, and I'm sorry its taking so long, but I hope you can be patient with me. I'm too old to get away with saying "I didn't know any better" if something goes wrong, so I want to make sure I do this right.

Good luck with the season (I hope you are healing well), and if you need or want someone to give you a hand at practice or a meet sometime, I can do that.
-Nick

Return to “Northeast Region”