I'm sick of it!

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

I'm sick of it!

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 pm

O.K. Here's the deal. I'm dying to vault, but I can't, because there isn't anywhere to do so in this vault-deprived state of Maryland. Does anybody know of ANYWHERE there's a club or facility that would offer access to a pit? If not, is anyone interested in starting a Maryland pole vault club or competition with me? I'd love to do it! Anyone?
(P.S. I'm in Howard County.)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

primetime614
PV Wannabe
Expertise: "Soul" Vaulter - choose academics over athletics in college :/

Unread postby primetime614 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:32 pm

you know i'd love to start one but it's a little late for me, i can try to mobilize our freshies and sophs to get something togeather, if thet like. some coaches would back us up two, but the hardest part would be getting a good coach. we could probably get an average coach but nothing exceptional like summer camp in PA quality.

But unless you want to travel 4 hrs. every week, i got nothing for you. and you got plenty of money of course, PV clubs are expensive.
PR: 13'6"
Dist. Runner: Hey, are you ganna win today?
Me: What else would I do Lose!?!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:20 am

I think that if we focused on it and put some thought into it that we could have an annual competition organized for next summer. We could make it like, a charity vault or something and get a sponsor or two that way.

MarissaBraindead
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: I'm sick of it!

Unread postby MarissaBraindead » Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 pm

I also am sick of howard county's and maryland in general's lack of vaulting facilities. Outdoor was my first season vaulting which means i need to train a lot more to improve to a decent level (i have only cleared 6'6 :(). If you're in Howard County you should probably Talk to PJ...im only assuming you know who that is, cause i don't know his last name, and convince him to start a summer thing at HCC like he's done in the past. He's said he might not be able to but if he gets enough vaulters im sure he will at least for a few weeks. Other than that there's Bill but hes down in PG.
" THE NORDIC!"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't like the way either of them coach... I certainly hope PJ will show up for altius' clinic here in HoCo!!! (I KNOW that Bill won't.) If all else fails, I'll have to suck it up and jump with them if such an opportunity arises. But there are other options that I have explored...

But anyway, we've got 'something' cooking at UMBC... maybe. Check out my other threads in here.

MarissaBraindead
PV Newbie

Unread postby MarissaBraindead » Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah i actually talked to Coach Gittermann during my lunch period today because i go to Mount Hebron and he's still teaching Biology there and he said he would e-mail me if he found something. But if you can e-mail me the information that would help so much.
" THE NORDIC!"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Right now there's nothing except an idea for a club. It might not 'fully' get off the ground. Check out my other two threads in here... That's about all the info that there is right now. :yes:

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 am

just go around calling schools and college looking for old or unused mats, they dont have to be pole vault, high jump will do. Then put a pit in your yard. Or just offer to "store" your schools pit for them for "charity".

I cant believe maryland doesnt have any clubs. I guess it just takes time to catch on, NC is up to 3 pole vault only clubs so far.

Just on that topic.... which states have best veriety or most vault clubs?

MarissaBraindead
PV Newbie

Unread postby MarissaBraindead » Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 am

I'm just gonna take a guess and say California. But i could be very far from right. I've heard of a lot in California.
" THE NORDIC!"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:50 am

I cant believe maryland doesnt have any clubs.

This is not an episode of 'Ripley's'... Just believe it. ;) And if there are, they do an absolutely horrible job of advertising, or they're way out in the Western panhandle or something like that. There's NOTHING in the Baltimore area. NOTHING.

just go around calling schools and college looking for old or unused mats, they dont have to be pole vault, high jump will do. Then put a pit in your yard.

Not a practical idea... and how exactly are high jump mats safe for vaulting? :confused:

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat May 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Not a practical idea... and how exactly are high jump mats safe for vaulting? :confused:

Well you lay them out in the shape of a pole vault pit.... then you can have a custom made top foam peace to cover them. That is what one of the places I jump at did to make a pit. The custom top bad is a lot cheaper than a new pit.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 pm

And around the box?

Return to “Northeast Region”