PAT MANSON 18 FEET FOR 21 YEARS STRAIGHT

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

eleazar
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 19'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

PAT MANSON 18 FEET FOR 21 YEARS STRAIGHT

Unread postby eleazar » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Enough said really

Simply Amazing!!!

Congrats to one of the true great athletes of our sport

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:34 pm

WOW!!

Air Force All Comers Meet

Code: Select all

Men Pole Vault
===================================================================================
    Name                    Year School                  Seed     Finals           
===================================================================================
  1 Pat Manson                   Invaders               5.20m      5.50m   18-00.50
  2 Paul Gensic                  Wcap                   5.50m      5.05m   16-06.75
  3 Brian Walsh               JR Air Force              4.34m      4.75m   15-07.00
  4 Joel Nolan                SO Air Force              4.92m      4.45m   14-07.25
  5 Timothy Bell              FR un-USAFA               5.00m      4.30m   14-01.25
  6 Sam Pierson               SR Unattached             4.41m      4.30m   14-01.25
  7 Matt Gensic               SO Air Force              4.26m      4.00m   13-01.50
  8 Skylar Morgan             FR Air Force              3.05m      3.05m   10-00.00
 -- Darrell Gobble               Unattached             4.30m         NH

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:58 pm

That's incredible! His fountain of youth must not contain hops and barley.

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:45 am

Pat Manson is un "freakin" believable! Way to go Pat!
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:44 am

That's great! Way to go Pat! Hope he's going to Reno this year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:47 am

That puts him tied for the number 2 mark in the US this year!

So far anyway :P
Last edited by rainbowgirl28 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:37 pm

Congtats! :yes:
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:05 pm

I just had a nice email exchange with Pat a couple of weeks ago about his training and he said he felt he could do it again. He had some good solid training advice for the aging athlete. Of course that won't apply to Pat until he starts to age. FANTASTIC!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Manson 18'

Unread postby roger/over » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes, amazing durability for Pat. Just to flesh out some of the details of his accomplishment:

His birthdate is 29 November 1967, making him 38 years old for the 2006 indoor and outdoor seasons. He's 178cm (5'10") tall and weighs 72kg (158 lbs.).

The world masters (35) indoor record is held by Radion Gataullin (RUS) at 5.70m (18'8 1/4") from a meet on 23 February 2001 at Lievin.

The world masters (35) outdoor record listed by the World Masters Association is 5.30m (17'4 1/2") by Kris Papanikalaou (GRE)--yes, history's first 18' vaulter---from a meet on 9 September 1977, but Manson had 5.60 (18'4 1/4") at Phoenix on 14 May 2004 so that should be the age 35 category record.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:49 pm

Jeff Hartwig jumped 5.76i (Karlsbad 2/26/05) last year and 5.88i at Bell Athletics in 2004 (Jonesboro 2/22/04).

Jeff's birthday is 9/25/67, about 2 months older than Pat.

There seems to be a big gap in many of the masters records between the official record and the best mark ever by a person in that age group.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:05 am

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/sports_c ... 27,00.html

Sandrock: Manson's consistency unmatched
January 20, 2006

Most people, sports fans and non-fans alike, are aware of the 4-minute mile and what it signifies as a mark of a world-class athlete. Now, imagine if someone had run a 4-minute mile every year for the past two decades.

Pat Manson can be considered that equivalent of that person.

Last weekend at the Air Force Academy, he pole vaulted 5.50 meters, or 18 feet. Not only did the jump give Manson a qualifying mark for the Feb. 25 USATF Indoor Championships in Boston, it was also the 21st consecutive year Manson had reached a height which some compare in difficulty to running 4 minutes for the mile.

The vault also showed that at 38, Manson is not giving up his track and field dreams easily.

"It was totally unexpected and so exciting," said Manson, who lives in Superior with his wife, Amy, and children Max, 5, and Mia, 3. "My power is less every year but my technique is better."

Manson has long had power and technique. The last time he did not jump 18 feet was way back in 1985, when Manson was a junior at Aurora Central High School. Manson went on to win the state title and set several national high school records that still stand. As a collegian at the University of Kansas, he set NCAA records and was a seven-time All American.

As a professional athlete, Manson jumped as high as 19-2 and made a living for many years competing on the European track circuit. He also came very close to making a couple of U.S. Olympic teams.

While most of the athletes competing on the world stage when Manson was in his prime have long since retired, Manson keeps on going. Making his most recent vault even more remarkable is that 18 feet is Manson's personal best on a "short run" of 100 feet, which most vaulters use indoors. The sprint to the bar outdoors is longer, meaning more speed and thus more momentum over the bar.

At Air Force, Manson used a 16-foot pole, gripping it near the top at 15-8. After sprinting the 100 feet down the runway spurred on by the clapping crowd, Manson placed his pole into the "plant box." The box is 8-inches deep, meaning that at the top of his vault, he was 15 feet above the ground. He then had to push off the pole, let if fall to the ground, and soar another three feet into the air to clear the bar.

The nice part of this tale is that the crowd at the Air Force fieldhouse understood the significance of what Manson did. He explains the jump this way:

"The environment was perfect, which made it more fun. Someone had told the announcer that the bar was at 18 feet and what that would mean. So as I walked back for the second attempt, the announcer told the story. There was nothing else happening at that exact moment. The whole fieldhouse started clapping in unison to cheer me on.

"I smiled because it was so much fun, and also used all 21 years of experience to not let the adrenaline of the moment cause me to try too hard. I lightly nudged it as I slipped over, but the bar was never in danger of coming down. Of course, with nothing else going on, the wiggling bar that stayed up caused a fair roar."

That roar is appropriate recognition for Manson, a genuinely nice guy who gives much back to track and field. He knows that at 38, every jump could be his last, which is why when he landed in the pit after clearing 18 feet, it was Manson himself who gave what might have been the loudest yell of the night.

"It was unexpected since this was just the second meet of the season," he said. "I did 16-6 at CU last weekend, with good attempts at 17 feet. Jumping high is the goal and an 18-footer was obviously a target for me. It was a fantastic, great feeling. I don't know how to describe it, but it was like being a little kid dreaming of throwing the touchdown pass. It is a goal that just gets harder every year, and I got it."

Manson, a former U.S. national indoor champion, is long past being a full-time athlete. He is a husband, father, owner of the mortgage company Vault Mortgage, and for the past several years has been busy putting on high school pole vaulting clinics.

Despite the time it takes, teaching top prep vaulters proper technique has kept Manson sharp as he ages.

"The experience has made me acutely aware of more of the technical details," he explained. "So while I help the kids go higher, it reminds me again about things I had been taking for granted, so it helps me as well ... God willing I'll stay healthy and use my longer run, so I can bring in more velocity and energy to jump even higher."

That higher jump could come at the U.S. indoor championships, and if you hear a loud scream coming our way from Boston, you will know that Manson did indeed once again defy time and entropy by jumping even higher.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Congratulations Pat. That is truely an awesome feat. I hope to see you at Reno this year. Along with watching you vault, I'm interested in learning how you incorporate yoga into your training.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”