Oly trials jump off rules?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

newvaulter
PV Beginner

Oly trials jump off rules?

Unread postby newvaulter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Anyone know if they'll start a jump off to break a tie for third place if neither of the athletes has the "A"? At first thought, it seems they don't need to break ties for third place if the 3-person Oly team is set. But my hope would be yes, in case during the jump off the bar climbs to/above the A and one of these guys makes it, but I just don't know.

Anyone know the details on this?
Thanks!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Oly trials jump off rules?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 pm

newvaulter wrote:Anyone know if they'll start a jump off to break a tie for third place if neither of the athletes has the "A"? At first thought, it seems they don't need to break ties for third place if the 3-person Oly team is set. But my hope would be yes, in case during the jump off the bar climbs to/above the A and one of these guys makes it, but I just don't know.

Anyone know the details on this?
Thanks!

Let me do my best to explain because this is confusing...

When there is a tie for first place, a jump-off is part of the meet and the marks do count.
When there is a tie for a final qualifying spot, the jump-off is administrative and the marks do not count. An athlete could not hit A standard in an administrative jump-off.

Let me give a few different scenarios here.

Scenario 1: Brad Walker and Mark Hollis tie for first, going out at 5.72. They have a jump-off and Hollis clears 5.72. This would count for A standard and he would make the team.

Scenario 2:
Walker wins, Miles second, Hollis and Jordan Scott tie for third with 5.60. Jordan would have the final spot, there would be no jump-off, because even if they did, it would not count for Hollis.

Scenario 3:
Walker wins, Hollis second with 5.60, Derek Miles third, Scott Roth fourth, Jordan Scott and Jeremy Scott tied for fifth. The J. Scotts would need to have a jump-off (after the conclusion of the meet) and there would be no spot on the team for Hollis or Roth.

I hope the officials remember that they also need to break the tie for alternate. If 2/5 A standard guys NH, they would need to jump-off after the meet. They failed to do this one year, Suhr pulled out of Worlds, and they had to make an arbitrary decision about which girl replaced her.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”