Elite Meet Promotion

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Elite Meet Promotion

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon May 21, 2012 3:22 pm

One aspect of the sport of pole vaulting and track and field in general has been that athletes make no money. At one point there was talk about traveling street vaults that set up in parking lots and stuff. The one thing that has set track and field apart from other individual type sports is where the money comes from. Probably 75% of the meets an athlete runs at a year if they are not top 10 in the world, are just random college meets to get marks in. In other sports there are the top super stars who are on TV and stuff, but there are the other guys trying to make it who travel from event to event collecting prize money.

So I ask this. How much prize money would it take to get vaulters to travel to meets? If someone were to promote a down town street vault or something that was sponsored by the local retailers, what would it take to get the top vaulters to show up. And even if not the top, at least the 18' guys trying to make it big so they can get some pocket money. I do not think it would be too hard to get sponsors to chip in enough to get a pretty good size prize for the top three spots or so.

So after travel and hotel cost are added up, and the chance of not even getting any prize money. What would it take to get a good group of elites to show up?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Elite Meet Promotion

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 pm

That's going to vary by athlete, what time of year the meet is, and how the athlete is feeling. If you have several grand in prize money and you cover hotel rooms, you'll generally have no trouble attracting most elites that are within driving distance.

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Re: Elite Meet Promotion

Unread postby wtfisup » Tue May 22, 2012 4:53 am

IMO

5.40-5.60m Small travel with potential of a $1000 pot ( int. certified not as important)

5.60-5.75m more travel with $1500-$2000 pot (w/ certified runway)

5.75-5.85m full travel, small-med apperance $1500-2000 pot (w/ certified runway)

5.80-6.00m and a resume of big meet/ medals, Get out your check book... full travel, good appearance and a large pot. (w/ certified runway)

housing.. first two find places to stay for them with transport. Second two will need hotel, possible meals and transportation during the duration.

This is a rough estimate. Apperance is a wheel and deal. The first two levels will be dealt with by athletes themselves most likley and the second two you will have to contact their managers via email.

-if you are flying in elites don't forget pole transportation costs... To get started you need most of money to the athletes. After the event is established for a 2-3 year span I would say the organizer can make some money out of it based on sponsors. Mostly just depends on your motivation.

After good marks are established at the meet bargaining becomes easier. You can help this by adding money for certain hieghts made (ex. 5.50 extra 150, 5.60 200, 5.72 300 etc)
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”