U.S. Open track meet to be held at Madison Square Garden

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

U.S. Open track meet to be held at Madison Square Garden

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... a4PXd6jW6L

U.S. Open track meet moving to Garden
By BRIAN LEWIS
Last Updated: 8:39 AM, November 18, 2011
Posted: 1:22 AM, November 18, 2011

With the Millrose Games moving to the New Balance Track & Field Center after nearly a century at Madison Square Garden, U.S. Track & Field wanted to keep a world-class meet in the World’s Most Famous Arena. It got that wish yesterday, announcing the U.S. Open Track & Field meet on Jan. 28.

“We’re actively pursuing what we hope is one of the best fields the Garden has seen in years,’’ USATF spokesman Jill Geer told The Post. “It’s the same sport with familiar faces at a familiar place; a new meet with a different feel.”

The U.S. Open — with tickets as low as $15 — will air from 7-9 p.m. on ESPN. It kicks off USATF’s Visa Championship Series for next year, and will be headlined by eight-time Wanamaker Mile champ Bernard Lagat.

“Madison Square Garden feels like home to me, and I am so happy to be coming back in 2012,’’ Lagat said. “I can’t think of a better place to kick off the Olympic year. I look forward to seeing the New York track fans who’ve supported me for so many years, many new fans in the new Garden.’’

USATF had financially supported the Millrose Games, but the Armory Foundation wanted to it uptown. Now the Millrose Games will be held Feb. 11 at the New Balance Track & Field Center on 168th St. There has been no TV deal for the Millrose Games yet, but the New York Road Runners are backing it and have landed Allyson Felix as a linchpin for the sprints.

“USA Track & Field has operated the Millrose Games for the foundation.

“Within the past year, they clearly stated their intent to move to the Armory,” Geer said. “We feel strongly the Garden is the site for world-class, elite track and field in New York.

“As committed as they were to move the event, we were equally committed to having a meet in the Garden.’’

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”