Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

User avatar
PVstorm84
PV Wannabe
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 am
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.83m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby PVstorm84 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Derek jumped 5.40m in college. How many of our 5.40m guys are willing to get a side job, struggle with poverty, and continue to train? How many 5.40m guys at 23 in Europe are willing to take $30K+ from their club and continue training? Say 1 out of 5 guys in the USA would do it, and 4 out of 5 guys in Europe would do it. That gives them an edge. Pretty simple stuff really.

KLocke when you say "become good enough", it comes down to the fact that it is easier to "become good enough" with financial support from a club and full use of coaching and facilities than it is without those things. That's really all we are trying to say and it's really inarguable.
In LZB We Trust.

hiphipjorge
PV Dweeb
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 pm
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Chad Harting

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby hiphipjorge » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Well Derek jumped 5.25 in college, and 5.40 in grad school so it took some time. One other thing of mention is that nobody who jumps 5.40 is getting 30k. They might get some club benefits like massage and coaching etc, but they aren't being supplemented that much money. 5.80 guys from Germany aren't even getting that. There is a perception that everyone has it better then us and you could make the argument that they have more perks then our guys do and that might be true, however as far as direct monitary support, it's tough all over the world. Klocke could vouch for that as well I bet. No doubt our situation could be enhanced with direct financial support but unless you run the distances or sprints we're stuck with what we have. Unfortunate yes but likely to change, no chance. It's been that way for a long time. Just have to focus on what can be controlled (jumping) and put the rest of the pieces together as best as possible.

KLocke
PV Whiz
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby KLocke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:11 am

Well, the most likely source to acquire your $30k from would be a shoe/apparel company. Trying to recall what a company exectutive told me in 2008 during a discussion about sales. At the time, I think field event shoes was approximately, 2.5 % of sales revenue. Therefore, in short..... he'd be extending a huge favor as these events do not contribute much to company profit.

A large amount of the retail population can and do participate in RUN/WALK activites as carry over fitness activities. Sadly, they do not pole vault. In 2009 during the LA Marathon broadcast and the entire week following, Niketown, message boards and e-mail inquiry was abundant with the question of "Where and when I can I get the shoe that the winner is wearing". Brilliant marketing -- a bright red shoe and Winning.

I can also share that USATF has began to contribute $12,500 to Elite Athletes annually + insurance and use of St. Vincent medical services. Also, Olympic medalist recieve nice cash awards from the USOC.

Lastly, my European vaulter friends are funded by their Army. U.S. Army has a program, (WCAP) World Class Athletic Program.


hiphipjorge wrote:Well Derek jumped 5.25 in college, and 5.40 in grad school so it took some time. One other thing of mention is that nobody who jumps 5.40 is getting 30k. They might get some club benefits like massage and coaching etc, but they aren't being supplemented that much money. 5.80 guys from Germany aren't even getting that. There is a perception that everyone has it better then us and you could make the argument that they have more perks then our guys do and that might be true, however as far as direct monitary support, it's tough all over the world. Klocke could vouch for that as well I bet. No doubt our situation could be enhanced with direct financial support but unless you run the distances or sprints we're stuck with what we have. Unfortunate yes but likely to change, no chance. It's been that way for a long time. Just have to focus on what can be controlled (jumping) and put the rest of the pieces together as best as possible.

ADTF Academy
PV Junkie
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 am

The challenge to me is how many pole vaulters jump in distance spikes, sprint spikes or whatever cause they have no clue what to buy? How many don't even know there is a vault shoe or in High School why specialize in PV spikes when you have to do so many other events. Every vaulter also has a pair of training shoe, but cause there is not a Pole Vault Training shoe Run/Walk gets the credit for sales. I understand completely the business side of things and the logic NIKE and the other company use. It's easy in sports like golf if someone buys clubs its obvious to play golf or for home protection. However, they are 100% flawed when it comes to Track, but thats their choice to use it. Our sport is the punishment for every other sport. Additionally, Its also our sports fault as a whole to not understand this and make sure we are promoting, marketing and asking for more PV related products. No one works together everyone is doing their own thing. The USOC and USATF has a focus on winning medals not producing income its a NON - FOR - PROFIT.


With that being said this is exactly the things people need to understand to help our sport. Thank you for sharing KLocke and I am sure you have so much more that you have been exposed to that would greatly help everyone grow. To me funding, money, and help doesn't come from the USATF (though it helps what we do get) or begging from sponsors it comes when the sponsors have no choice. Right now Track isn't important. Neither is Pole Vault. Its something that is done. Why would a company spend a lot of money on an athlete that no one knows or on a sport that produces little sales (according to their charts). IAAF and USATF have the biggest budgets and personally I wonder if spending money on a National campaign to promote our sport and our athletes would work or would it be a waste of money. As I put it USATF is concerned with winning medals and the IAAF has a ton of issues itself. For me the cheaper and easier solution if possible would be in the local communities athletes, families, clubs and such attempting to get the word and topic of pole vault into the local, regional and national news as much as possible. Once again the issue is what is the advantage for them doing so.

As in many meetings and discussions I have taken part in. We need to identify not only things to do when you have a ton of money, but also things to do when the reality is we have no money. Till the imagine and marketing power of Track and Pole Vault increases agents, coaches, clubs, meet directors and athletes will have minimal power in negotiations. It's take it or we give to someone else. For now as it has been commented athletes need to come to conclusion live in poverty and train full time or get a job and deal with injury risks.

KLocke
PV Whiz
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby KLocke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 pm

A large part of general retail population wants to hear a story. My friend, Peter Abraham says, "Every athlete should think like a brand, a media platform". He also thinks that you don't need to be famous to build a platform. His examples are the ultra running guy- Dean Karnazas. He's made a fortune and is not a great athlete. However, he does have a mission to stamp out childhood obesity. However, Dean has not and will never win major marathons. Not even close.

What's your story? Tell your story. You are in a position where social media is cheap/free. Anyone sponsoring you wants to know you're a good investment. Peter thinks every athlete should identify their own community and build on it. There have been examples of interesting stories in pole vault- Jenn Suhr's breakout, Stacy Dragila, Nick Hysong. Quiller, an NCAA Champ with an athletic family, academic honors and many others with stories.

"I'm a pole vaulter, I don't want to work, give me some money" is not likeley to attract sponsorship.

ADTF Academy wrote:As in many meetings and discussions I have taken part in. We need to identify not only things to do when you have a ton of money, but also things to do when the reality is we have no money. Till the imagine and marketing power of Track and Pole Vault increases agents, coaches, clubs, meet directors and athletes will have minimal power in negotiations. It's take it or we give to someone else. For now as it has been commented athletes need to come to conclusion live in poverty and train full time or get a job and deal with injury risks.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 pm

KLocke wrote: "I'm a pole vaulter, I don't want to work, give me some money" is not likeley to attract sponsorship.


I don't know any vaulters with that attitude.

oldvaultfan
PV Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm
Expertise: fan
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: d miles

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby oldvaultfan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

Ms. Locke - I'm not sure you are getting the message here and for someone who makes a living off a percentage of others athletic backs it presents a scary senario. With respect to your friend in the shoe/apparel business ( I am guessing Nike ) and the 2.5% comment, I suggest you look at Nike's annual report. That 2.5% translates to $185,000,000 this year of just the shoe revenue. Go ahead, check my math. $11.4 Billion in shoe sales this past fiscal year. Now consider that the people that have Nike 'support' MUST wear more than just their shoes (when not in other non-Nike USA team apparel). Apparel is even more important as a visual endorsement and NIke's annual revenue in that category was over $5 Billion last year. But let's cut to the chase. This is a real have and have-not situation. And even the 'haves' don't always earn their pay - witness one of your 'high-end' vaulters. I do not suggest for a moment an equal distribution of corporate financial support, but a little more for those with up and coming potential and for those who have faithfully competed on an international level and fairly represented both company AND the USA seems clearly in order. A little more hard work at securing those extra dollars gives both you and the individual you represent a win. Maybe Nike can carve a little out of Tiger's $10 million or so a year and support those who really need it in order to better represent our sport and our country. What do you say Karen?

KLocke
PV Whiz
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby KLocke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am

I previous mentioned "field event shoes" pole vault spikes is yet another. A bleek sales story. A good marketing idea would be to partner vault street meets with successful road races. Similar to the UK Street Games except pole vault only. The Street Games link is below:

http://www.greatcitygames.org/Events/Gr ... es/TV.aspx

http://www.iaaf.org/LRR11/news/newsid=62533.html (Street Games on Saturday, Road race Sunday)


That's all..


oldvaultfan wrote:Ms. Locke - What do you say Karen?

ADTF Academy
PV Junkie
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm

oldvaultfan wrote:Ms. Locke - I'm not sure you are getting the message here and for someone who makes a living off a percentage of others athletic backs it presents a scary senario. With respect to your friend in the shoe/apparel business ( I am guessing Nike ) and the 2.5% comment, I suggest you look at Nike's annual report. That 2.5% translates to $185,000,000 this year of just the shoe revenue. Go ahead, check my math. $11.4 Billion in shoe sales this past fiscal year. Now consider that the people that have Nike 'support' MUST wear more than just their shoes (when not in other non-Nike USA team apparel). Apparel is even more important as a visual endorsement and NIke's annual revenue in that category was over $5 Billion last year. But let's cut to the chase. This is a real have and have-not situation. And even the 'haves' don't always earn their pay - witness one of your 'high-end' vaulters. I do not suggest for a moment an equal distribution of corporate financial support, but a little more for those with up and coming potential and for those who have faithfully competed on an international level and fairly represented both company AND the USA seems clearly in order. A little more hard work at securing those extra dollars gives both you and the individual you represent a win. Maybe Nike can carve a little out of Tiger's $10 million or so a year and support those who really need it in order to better represent our sport and our country. What do you say Karen?



Fundamental question is WHY should they? Because they should be nice and willing to help their fellow man. As accurate as your math is it still doesn't answer the question of why should track athletes get a piece of their 185 mil and a piece of the other companies money. What is the incentive to sponsor a track and field athlete. We must find a way to make Pole Vault so important they can't help but sponsor a 17'2" vaulter who is still jumping after college. Now that would be a great day in our sport. Not possible well a kid drafted in the 4th round of the MLB draft who may not even see the field for 5 years gets sponsorships. Is a 17' vaulter like a AA baseball player?

KLocke
PV Whiz
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby KLocke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Spot on. Tradiitonal pole vaulting in U.S. is going to require moving into a commercially visible forum. Take to the streets and not a fairground or POLE VAULT only arena. Major events! Fortunately, North American host some of the world's largest road racing events. There is a tendency for excitement if the public thinks someone may clear 5.80. Few will clear 5.80. However, these people become new fans who will be just as excited to see 5.20.


ADTF Academy wrote:Fundamental question is WHY should they? Because they should be nice and willing to help their fellow man. As accurate as your math is it still doesn't answer the question of why should track athletes get a piece of their 185 mil and a piece of the other companies money. What is the incentive to sponsor a track and field athlete. We must find a way to make Pole Vault so important they can't help but sponsor a 17'2" vaulter who is still jumping after college. Now that would be a great day in our sport. Not possible well a kid drafted in the 4th round of the MLB draft who may not even see the field for 5 years gets sponsorships. Is a 17' vaulter like a AA baseball player?

KLocke
PV Whiz
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby KLocke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Wrong on that assumption. However, the company did well to invest in recent vaulter who achieved the following:

2 Olympic gold
2 World Gold

And around 34 world records



[quote="oldvaultfan"] With respect to your friend in the shoe/apparel business ( I am guessing Nike )

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Re: Elite Level Pole Vault, Throws and Track

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:40 pm

KLocke wrote: There is a tendency for excitement if the public thinks someone may clear 5.80. Few will clear 5.80. However, these people become new fans who will be just as excited to see 5.20.


Oh yeah I put on beach vaults and the public has no clue what heights mean anything. Every bar looks high when cleared by a vaulter with good form. 15'+ (either gender) is mind boggling to the general public, though it does help a little when they get to elite heights and you can tell the crowd that this ranks them in such and such a place in the US or the World.

Fairgrounds can be good when there is a massive State Fair going on. Streets and Beaches are also good when there are events. A vaulter competing at these have a LOT more eyes on their logos than someone jumping in Chula Vista or Jonesboro. Maybe we need to get our Nike reps to spend some time at the bigger beach/street vaults.

How many people saw Brad wearing Nike gear this year? The people in the stands in Eugene? Did they show him NHing on TV? A LOT more people saw Mary Saxer wearing Nike gear before she was even sponsored by Nike. She's better looking too ;)


Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests