Pan Am Juniors

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pan Am Juniors

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am

Women's Pole Vault -- Team USA swept the medals with Louisiana high schooler Morgann LeLeux taking the gold and North Carolina's Sandi Morris the silver. LeLeux, the prep record holder, cleared 4.15/13-7.25 for the win, with Morris second at 4.05/13-3.5. LeLeux took three attempts at 4.35/14-3.25, which would have broken her prep record and also been a PAJ meet record.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Pan Am Juniors

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:34 am

Men's pole vault -- Oregon high schooler JJ Juilfs cleared 5.10/16-8.75 to nab the silver medal behind Brazil's Thiago da Silva, who cleared 5.20/17-0.75. Cody Marshall failed at three attempts at his opening height of 4.75/15-7.

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:05 pm

How did they pick who went? -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 pm

joebro391 wrote:How did they pick who went? -6P

The top two finisher's at this past junior natioanls in Eugene.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm

http://redandblack.com/2011/07/25/georg ... pionships/

Georgia Signee Morgann Leleux Wins Pan American JuniorChampionships
By GEORGIA SPORTS COMMUNICATIONS on July 25, 2011
MIRAMAR, Fla. – Georgia signee Morgan Leleux captured a gold medal in the pole vault during the opening day of the Pan American Junior Track & Field Championships in Miramar, Fla., on Friday.
Leleux, a recent graduate of Catholic High (New Iberia, La.), cleared 13 feet, 7 1/4 inches on her second attempt to best fellow United States teammate Sandi Morris (13-3.50) for the title.
Leleux missed her opening two tries at 13-3.50 after her pole broke on her first attempt but cleared the height on her third try. Morris was able to clear the height in two attempts, briefly taking the lead in the competition.
Despite an hour rain delay mixed with unfavorable winds and Leleux having swollen hands as a result of the pole snapping, Leleux passed at 13-5.25 before shooting over the bar at 13-7.25 to bring top honors back to Louisiana.
“That was my goal today and I’m walking away with my gold,” Leleux told The Daily Iberian.
The 2011 Bulldog signee is planning on competing at the USATF National Junior Outdoor Championships on Friday in Wichita, Kan., before arriving in Athens for the fall semester in August.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm

http://www.iberianet.com/sports/leleux- ... 002e0.html

LeLeux wins Pan Am gold

Leah McClelland, Special to The Daily Iberian
LeLeux wins Pan Am gold
Morgann LeLeux, shown practicing earlier this year, won the gold medal at the Junior Pan Am Games Friday.
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:00 am

MIRAMAR, Fla. — Recent Catholic High grad and University of Georgia signee Morgann LeLeux took home the gold medal Friday when she won the pole vault competition at the Junior Pan American Games held at the Ansin Sports Complex.
LeLeux cleared 13 feet, 7 1/4 inches Friday to win the event over second place finisher Sandi Morris (13-3 1/2), who also was on the United States team.
Third place went to Karleigh Parker of Canada (12-5 1/2) and fourth place went to Paige Ridout of Canada (12-1 1/2).
LeLeux won despite braking her favorite pole in three places on her first attempt at a height of 13-3.
It was the same pole that she set the national record on at the Region II-3A meet held at Louisiana-Lafayette in April.
According to her coach and father, Shane LeLeux, Morgann came back and finished the competition on a shorter pole.
“That was my favorite pole,” said LeLeux. “I’m used to poles snapping but after I was like ‘oh my gosh. I don’t have a pole.’”
After winning the event, LeLeux tried to set a new national record but her hands, which stung all meet long after her pole broke, were swollen and she couldn’t properly hold onto the new pole during her record-setting attempt.
However, she walked away with the gold medal from the Pan Am Juniors, which was her ultimate prize.
“That was my goal today and I’m walking away with my gold,” said LeLeux.
LeLeux competed in the Dauphin Street Vault Saturday and is will leave Wednesday to travel to Whichita, Kansas to compete in next weekend’s USATF National Outdoor Meet. She will also be in the AAU meet this year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:36 am

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/c-track ... 11aaa.html

Incoming Husky Juilfs Takes Silver At Pan-Am Juniors

Delicious
Digg
Facebook
Google
MySpace
Twitter
Yahoo
The U.S. Junior Champion will look to add to UW's vault tradition next spring.

J.J. Juilfs medaled in his first Team USA experience this weekend.

July 24, 2011

MIRAMAR, Fla. - Soon-to-be Husky J.J. Juilfs of Eugene, Oregon was the silver medalist in the pole vault at the Pan American Junior Championships this weekend, competing for Team USA at the Ansin Sports Complex. Another incoming Husky, Derrick Daigre of Kent, competed in the 800-meters on Saturday.

Juilfs captured the U.S. Junior Championship back in June to earn a spot on Team USA. He was competing against the best vaulters from Brazil, Canada, Jamaica, and Colombia.

Stormy weather made the vault competition a challenge, but Juilfs hung in after a challenging start. He entered the competition at 16-2 3/4 and missed his first two attempts before clearing on his third. After that bar, only he and Thiago Da Silva of Brazil were left. Juilfs took the lead after clearing 16-8 3/4 on his first attempt, while Da Silva had one miss, but Da Silva went on to clear 17-0 3/4 on his first try and Juilfs missed at that bar to settle for silver.

"I did the best I could to adapt (to the weather conditions)" said Juilfs. "I came to win, but I am thankful to be here. I had a lot of misses along the way, and the headwind was tough to deal with."

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 am

jj juilfs
5.05 make
http://youtu.be/97CGP-6faC4

5.10 make
http://youtu.be/4MerrUsbDOc

Nice job JJ!

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 am

Those were both BIG vaults. He looks good. His back must be all well now.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 am

73-vaulter wrote:Those were both BIG vaults. He looks good. His back must be all well now.

He looked really good at the Alki Beach Vault as well, I think he will do a nice job of continuing the strong PV tradition at UW.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”