Leaving Your COllege

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Leaving Your COllege

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

One thing that I wanted to ask in the "worst season ever" or one about what it will take to help the elite.

How many elite vaulters leave their college to train elsewhere? Like Kacey said, one of the biggest problems is training facilities and equipment. And I feel that if you have something that is really working for you in college, why is there a reason to change? If you have improved consistently during college with the same coach why would you leave if they let you keep training there?

I know Jeff Hartwig was never even really a 'spectacular' college vaulter but he improved every year and was able to keep training with Earl Bell at Arkansas and continued to keep improving.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Leaving Your COllege

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Not all schools will let their graduated vaulters keep training there. Also keep in mind the high turnover rate among college coaches. And then you have the issues involved with coaches and poles not always being available to the graduate at the right times.

It's great when it works out, but it's just not always an option for all athletes.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”