Worst indoor season ever ?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Re: Worst indoor season ever ?

Unread postby VaultLove » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 am

Is 5.60 now elite in U.S? Because in Europe we normally consider the mark most often presented for championship "Auto" qualification. That mark is often 5.75 for auto qualification to make world championships, olympic final.

quote="kev44000"

---Kasey[/quote]

This is the way it works in America. Sad but true. As a parent of an elite vaulter (5.60 at 20 years old) I am glad I or my son will not have to contend with the hardships of him being a pro Track and field athlete. I feel for all who do. I myself help support an elite vaulter without a shoe contract, and volunteer coach at our high school.[/quote]

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am

[quote="VaultLove"]Is 5.60 now elite in U.S? Because in Europe we normally consider the mark most often presented for championship "Auto" qualification. That mark is often 5.75 for auto qualification to make world championships, olympic final.

I thought the topic was on US vaulters and the worst season ever. Not Europe. I do not care what goes on in Europe.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

kev44000 wrote:This is the way it works in America. Sad but true. As a parent of an elite vaulter (5.60 at 20 years old) I am glad I or my son will not have to contend with the hardships of him being a pro Track and field athlete. I feel for all who do. I myself help support an elite vaulter without a shoe contract, and volunteer coach at our high school.

What do you mean by not having to contend with the hardships of being a pro track and field athlete? Do you mean he is not going to go pro, or its not going to be as hard for him as a pro as it is for most athletes?

Money is not the only hardship... Pole vaulting is probably the most depressing sport on the planet as it has more highs and lows than any other sport, and sometimes you get stuck in extreme lows for a while.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 am

He will go pro. Everything is in place for him. High's and low's,slump's, etc are part of it. Without a money issue everything else comes easier. Ask me about it in two years.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 am

kev44000 wrote:He will go pro. Everything is in place for him. High's and low's,slump's, etc are part of it. Without a money issue everything else comes easier. Ask me about it in two years.

Careful Dad. That's sounds a lot like a direct NCAA violation, that your posting online for all too see. You could be jeopardizing Jacks collegiate career
by posting this stuff. Probably think twice before you speak, swallow your pride a bit for your sons sake and keep that information under your hat.
Your dreaming if you think it's all smooth sailing with access to money after school, its hard for everyone no matter what some smooth talking agent told you. Ask the best vaulter the US has ever seen (Brad Walker) just how hard it is. Jack will struggle just like everyone else, he will succeed if he is strong in heart and mind. Money doesn't buy everything.
I'd love to see him breaking records and contending at International Championships just like everyone else would. He carries the burden of being one of the last hopes the US has on the international level and we should all do everything we can to get him and his comrades there.
And you should be concerned with what goes on in Europe, saying you don't care what goes on there blemish's your credibility. So you should know that's the only place in the world where "Professional" track and field exists. If you can't hang there, your no "Pro".
I still believe that the US can be a power house in the vault once more, but its going to take effort from everyone, not just the vaulters, coaches, and parents. Everyone who cares about the vault at all needs to step up. Or we could all just sit here and bicker all day wasting time and accomplishing nothing, which seems to be what you would all prefer.

This is the most unproductive and stupid topic ever. I am embarrassed with myself for continuing to keep checking it and apologize to myself for my ignorance and false hope. I really thought I was going to see someone post something positive and worth while in one of these 7 pages. Obviously I was let down. I will continue to press on for our athletes but this thread has made me lose so much faith in the US Pole Vault Community I feel sick inside. Its clear now why we are failing.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:58 am

The rational voice. Thank you. I merely, asked a question about the mark considered now elite with respect to topic of bad season. He's is correct that he does not have to care about Europe if his world is here. Plenty of others "get it". Europe has always welcomed U.S. pole vault and will continue to as they fit in. Several U.S. vaulters made their best marks on euorpean soil. Walker first time 6 meters in Germany. Mack jumped his 6.01 in Monaco. I cannot think of a single person who did not fall in love with the Mack/Stevenson show in Athens. Dragila, Johnson,Hartwig,Miles,Starkey , Suhr and others have all been a shining light for us to see.

[quote="VaultNinja"][quote="kev44000"]
And you should be concerned with what goes on in Europe, saying you don't care what goes on there blemish's your credibility. So you should know that's the only place in the world where "Professional" track and field exists. If you can't hang there, your no "Pro".
I still believe that the US can be a power house in the vault once more, but its going to take effort from everyone, not just the vaulters, coaches, and parents. Everyone who cares about the vault at all needs to step up. Or we could all just sit here and bicker all day wasting time and accomplishing nothing, which seems to be what you would all prefer.

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Do you think as a community we could get an Olympic development pole vault added to the Penn Relays?
-Nick

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Unread postby wtfisup » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm

"I do not care what goes on in Europe."

Ok ok we base our marks off of what... A WORLD STANDARD. As in what happens in other countries. If you are unaware of things that go on outside your own borders then you are only hurting yourself. That was a pretty embarassing remark you made. I mean as long as the world championships and olympics are in the US I guess it's ok. But we should all assume these are statements made by a proud dad and may not reflect the direct ideas of Jack. Because yes there is a great chance he will jump internationally while in/ or post collegically and you don't want to go into meets as the "I don't care" American, outside of America. You'll find its hard to get assistance (that you'll need at some point) from people this way. :dazed:

On a side note what's the meaning of PRO?
I'd say supporting yourself in a comfortable lifestyle through polevaulting alone. And don't think you're going to be on MTV cribs.
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

IAmTheWalrus wrote:Do you think as a community we could get an Olympic development pole vault added to the Penn Relays?

It's the same weekend as Drake, and there is usually an elite pole vault at Drake.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:54 pm

OK enough picking on Kevin for the statement about not caring what's going on in Europe, I think it's being taken out of the context it was intended for. Jack is only a true sophomore. Let's let him enjoy college for a few more years before he has to worry about the rest of the world. It's on his radar.

And seriously, do I have to lock this thread? Be nice people.

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Unread postby wtfisup » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Ok ok back to being nice, wasn't my intention to be mean.. Just write what others are probably thinking
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello,

As a current collegiate vaulter in his last season of eligibility who has the goal of becoming elite at some point, there has been a lot of activity on PVP as well as in the track community regarding those who are like me. The idea of pursuing my goals of making it to the next level are becoming more frightening after hearing about all the lack of support as well as those who are now discouraging pursuing it. That being said, I cannot worry about what might or might not happen in the future because I have no control over the shoe companies or other sponsors and who they choose to sponsor. All I can control is how much I am willing to sacrifice and how hard I work and then hopefully things will work out.

OK enough picking on Kevin for the statement about not caring what's going on in Europe, I think it's being taken out of the context it was intended for. Jack is only a true sophomore. Let's let him enjoy college for a few more years before he has to worry about the rest of the world. It's on his radar.

Couldn't agree with you more Becca. I think Kevin was just referring to how this is thread is focused more on US pole vaulting and not what is going on right now in Europe. It is obvious that there is more support for tack and field in Europe than there is in the US so I do not think that these two can be compared Its a whole different world for track in Europe than it is in the US. Also in regards to not having to worry about the hardships of a "Pro" pole vaulter, I can relate. My father has told me over my career that he will support me however he can with whatever I pursue and I think that is the point Kevin is making about Jack. My father helped me financially when I went cross country last year from NJ to CA to work with Jan Johnson at Cuesta for a year. My father has helped me buy poles when I can't afford them and this goes back to HS when my school would not buy me a new pole. Let's just be happy that Jack has such a great support system from his family and those who are closest to him because these are the people who will give him the best chance to succeed.
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”