Mark Hollis still reaching new heights in pole vault

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mark Hollis still reaching new heights in pole vault

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:16 pm

http://www.journalstandard.com/sports/x ... pole-vault

Hollis still reaching new heights in pole vault

By Scott Holland
The Journal-Standard
Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 08:51 PM

Freeport, Ill. —
Freeport’s Mark Hollis is continuing to make a name for himself internationally in the pole vault.
The former Pretzel has had a strong indoor season and is prepping for the outdoor season and bigger things.
“It’s been great,” Hollis said of the indoor season. “At this level, they measure heights in meters, and I jumped 5.6, which is about 18-4.
“I’ve jumped that six times in the indoor season, which is a big improvement over any other season.”
Hollis isn’t just consistently reaching new heights, but winning events.
He capped off his indoor season with a win at the U.S. Nationals, and also had gold performances abroad.
“I had a trip to Europe, I was there three weeks for five meets and I won three of five,” he said. “Then I came home and went and won the U.S. National.”
The indoor title added to Hollis’ impressive performances at U.S. meets.
“I won the outdoor last year, and that kind of surprised people, but I know my level and I know the training I put in, I train with the top guys in the world,” he said. “But to be able to do that is a special thing and then to come back and win the indoor this year with all the top level guys, to be able to come back and repeat, that was great.”
Hollis’ performances has seen his recognition and ranking grow.
“The world rankings, the way it works, it’s not based on how high you go, but what you do at different ranked meets,” he said. “The U.S. Championships is a ‘B’ level meet, where a small college meet could be a ‘C’ level meet. The higher the level, the more points you get, same for the higher you jump, the more points.
“Last year I did well enough to be ranked 19th in the world, I opened this year winning a few big meets, so now I’m building toward the outdoor season and hopefully be in the top 10.”
Hollis’ strong start in the indoor portion of the season makes that goal attainable, but he does recognize the differences between doing well indoor and doing well outdoor.
“I think it’s a little bit easier indoors, you don’t have to deal with the weather and wind,” he said. “Wind is a big factor, pole vault poles are 17 feet long and act like a big sail, wind can push the whole body.
“Indoor jumps you don’t have to worry about the wind, hot or cold, rain, I competed in Europe in the wind, rain, in 40 degree weather and with snow on the ground. It’s easier to be indoors but outdoors is better in some ways, especially because it’s later in the season and my training is more honed in.”
While it’s tougher to compete outside, it may be tougher to win indoors.
Without equalizers like the conditions, the only determining factor at an indoor meet is who is the best vaulter on that day.
“That’s the one thing I’ve really learned, you don’t always have to be the best,” Hollis said. “You’re always competing against guys who are better than you, who may have jumped higher than you in the past, but when it comes down to national competitions, the past doesn’t matter. It’s all about that day and who deals with everything the best.”
Hollis was prepping for one last indoor meet, but had to pull out the day before leaving for it.
“I was moving some furniture for a little extra money and I had a spasm in my back, so I have to take it easy and call off the meet in Minnesota,” he said. “It’s no big deal, it’s an exhibition-type event for the pole vault only. I was going to make a little bit of extra prize money, but it’s been a good indoor season, so it will be good for me to take a week off and amp up for outdoor.”
Hollis has been seeking some financial help, but has yet to find a sponsor, something he has come to grips with over the last year.
“I’ve definitely been turning some heads, I’m more consistent and I think I’m showing that I’m one of the top vaulters in the U.S. and world,” he said. “I want my performance to speak for itself, I don’t want a handout, but it wouldn’t be so bad to get a few extra bucks.
“I know the way the system works, it’s a business and companies are looking for people who will be on the world stage and be able to represent them and get their name out there. I kind of gave up wondering why I’m not getting sponsors a long time ago, I’m worrying about jumping high and things will fall into place.”

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”