USATF to apply IAAF uniform restrictions at 2011 USAs

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

USATF to apply IAAF uniform restrictions at 2011 USAs

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Please note that starting with the 2011 USA Indoor Championships, February 26-27, USA Track & Field will begin to enforce Uniform Guidelines established by the IAAF at all National Championship events. These guidelines deal mainly with the size and appearance of manufacturer’s marks and logos, as well as acceptable sizing and placement of club designations. Complete guideline information can be found here:

http://www.usatf.org/events/2011/USAInd ... iforms.asp

In the event you are not able to obtain a compliant uniform, USATF will provide tape in Albuquerque to cover the illegal mark or lettering.

If you have any questions, please call or email Brian Brase, Director of Events and Broadcasting, 317-713-4658 or brian.brase@usatf.org

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Re: USATF to apply IAAF uniform restrictions at 2011 USAs

Unread postby old vaulter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am

This rule has been in effect for some time. How does track and field as a sport think it can gain outside sponsorship while not allowing a sponsor logo on a singlet or warm up top. The governing bodies need to look in the mirror and realize that the athletes can not make any monies while these uniform restrictions are in place. Not that outside sponsors are lining up to sponsor the athletes, but how can an agent or athlete convince a sponsor such as coke, rockstar or monster to sponsor an athlete, but during the largest meets of the year they are not allowed to wear the uniform that would represent their sponsors. We made a custom singlet for mark Hollis to wear before the pole vault summit this year and he is currently wearing it overseas in competition, and he has told me he has gotten as much response to the uniform as he has to the bamboo pole skins that he is running on his carbon weaves. I am not saying that all restrictions need to be lifted but there has to be a compromise somewhere. Usatf officials need to move into the millenium and allow athletes to train and realize their full potential without having to work part time at home depot if they don't need to.

What do others think about this? I am alone in this train of thought

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 am

In recent years, the rule has only been enforced on US soil at the Olympic Trials and the IAAF Grand Prix meet (New York and Prefontaine).

This has nothing to do with USATF officials. It comes straight from the top at USATF and I think they are getting pressure from the IAAF and sponsors to make sure it's enforced at meets that are on TV.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 am

Oh yeah and Mark's singlet that you made is super cool :) I thought he was going to be able to get away with it at USAs, but I guess not.

jvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby jvaulter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 pm

As long as they don't rule out dying sponsor's logos into your hair or somethin crazy like that ;)

littlebigboy
PV Newbie

Unread postby littlebigboy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Sorry you old stuck it the muds, I am 62 yrs. old and don't see anything wrong with the advertising on the uniforms to help our young athletes make some money to be able to train and tryng to repressent the USA. Not everyone can work for Home Depot. This is an old stuck in the past, stuffed shirt, sport. If IAAF has their rules fine for their meets, but for USATF and all other meets lets let the athletes be able to keep competeing and not decide "I have to make a living and support my family, so I gusess it's screw the USA". I've heard we don't want to look like NASCAR, well they are successful and we would be able to have a much more competitive team if we allowed more sponsors for OUR athletes.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 am

littlebigboy wrote:Not everyone can work for Home Depot.

Home Depot doesn't do the Olympic Athlete program anymore.

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Unread postby old vaulter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:31 pm

interesting...a friend is in alberquerke and tells me brad walker looks great but has a HUGE nike logo on during warmups....

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Its not a stick in the mud issue. Its corruption, pure and simple. It goes all the way to the president of IAAF and trickles down to administrative levels. Bottom line, if your at the top of the food chain your filthy rich off others work, if your the one doing the work your poor as hell. Control the sponsors, control the logos, control the money. I hope they all burn in hell for it.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”