Toby's PR Jump is up on Neo Vault

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

wubka
PV Beginner

Unread postby wubka » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:36 pm

Neo Vaulter wrote:ok - I appeal to Tarasov's post jump celebration at 97 world championships.

what is it about the song and dance that you don't like?

False analogy.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:38 pm

I think it's kind of like the t-shirts I made... some things are more offensive to others.

Atleetwinvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Atleetwinvaulter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:05 pm

yeah yeah, well if uve seen the neovault dvd, ud see that thats jsut toby's personality...quite frankly i kinda like it....he jsut seems so happy and excited and doesnt seem like, "woo yah woopie i know i jsut cleared i high height." i dunno to me, unliek alot of the vaulters, u can just get this cool sense of toby's personinalty and he jsut makes the meet fun..... KEEP CELEBRATING TOBY, ride that pole, do your back flips and keep doign those creative dances on the mats!
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it"

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:39 pm

People,
Please put yourself in Badamick's place. As I have said in other posts, this man thinks more than any other human being on the planet (and now even more since he lives in Salinas). Badamick's condition has progressed to the point that he actually goes through the day without emotion. So, while us mere mortals ocassionally display fits of humanity(anger, hapiness, passion); badamick has created a world where thought prevails above all. In fact, computer programs are now being modeled after his own personality.
In my own opinion, Toby displayed the very essence of "pole vaulteness" (I know, not a word). This is that feeling that keeps every vaulter out there coming back for more, placing more of ourselves on the line each time. Toby's emotion should have inspired every one of us just a bit.
I do appeal to you all, don't fault badamick. He is a man cursed by his own mind; a level at which we cannot perceive.
(P.S. When badamick jumped 17'9" in college he jumped off the pit and yelled "sugar snaps jee wilikers"; it was beautiful)

Neo Vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.70m

Unread postby Neo Vaulter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:51 pm

KEEP CELEBRATING TOBY, ride that pole, do your back flips and keep doign those creative dances on the mats!

here! here!

Neo Vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby Neo Vaulter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:01 pm

And Neovaulter (Cal Poly Philsophy Grad), ad populum arguments of an ad hominem nature are invalid, as you know.

ok - what about Tim Lobinger's celebration dance with his shorts down?

He's European.

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:23 pm

Im just waiting for someone to pull out a cellphone from underneath the mat.
Go Saints!

wubka
PV Beginner

Unread postby wubka » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:47 pm

First of all, the argument is not about badamick or lobinger; Ask the Europeans was a reference to asking European spectators (where track is the number two sport) how they react to vault celebrations - not how Europeans vaulters celebrate. It is a question of whether we should reduce our sport to spectacle, where the line should be drawn, what types of celebrations are appropriate and what is best for pole vaulting. Similar to the feel good comments made today, post vault celebrations can take on an illogic akin to “my vault wasn’t good enough by itself so I have to do something completely outrageous now.â€Â

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:10 pm

Neo Vaulter wrote:
KEEP CELEBRATING TOBY, ride that pole, do your back flips and keep doign those creative dances on the mats!

here! here!

DITTO! It's easy to really like a guy who is passionate about what he does. And Toby is definitely passionate about vaulting. Toby, don't ever change. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:26 pm

I agree with Badamick in the sense that there should be a line drawn on celebrations. That line, I believe, should be drawn where the "celebration" stops being a "celebration" and more becomes promotion of ones self. For example, like russ said, taking a cell phone out of the field goal post to call your "mama". Or doing the "dirty bird" in the endzone. Not only do these "celebrations" make the athlete look like a complete idiot, but they also take away from the sport. A celebration should show the inner emotions of an athlete on the outside, nothing more. However, when i watched toby's jump, this is exactly what i saw. I didn't see any self promotion, but rather just a very, very ecstatic athlete. He displayed on the outside what he was truly feeling on the inside, and i loved every second of it.
I don't know about anybody else, but when i saw that video, the only thing i wanted to do was go grab a pole and freakin jump. I was so fired up. I got tingles. THAT, is what sport is all about.

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:32 pm

Badamick,
Attacking my education? This being the same Alma Mater at which you received that prestigious Physical Education degree. If you found mistakes in my writing, that is because I don't proof read email type messages. Please understand, I do not have the mental capabilities you have been blessed with. As I said before, kind sir, the best I can be is human! My respone was born from emotion, not forethought or after thought, or between thought. I understand your frustration; but, your fundamentalist Christian Ideals are clouding good judgement. Badamick, not everyone who occasionally uses foul language, celebrates a good jump or a holiday, is an evil person. I admit, my cerebral abilities will never match yours. But please, come down to my level for a moment and witness true humanity for it's beauty, and not its imperfect nature.

P.S. I'm sorry you never jumped 18 feet. Brown and I talked about it, just wanted to let you know it feels really good when you do! Love ya.

Neo Vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby Neo Vaulter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:34 pm

However, when i watched toby's jump, this is exactly what i saw. I didn't see any self promotion, but rather just a very, very ecstatic athlete. He displayed on the outside what he was truly feeling on the inside, and i loved every second of it.
I don't know about anybody else, but when i saw that video, the only thing i wanted to do was go grab a pole and freakin jump. I was so fired up. I got tingles. THAT, is what sport is all about.

I could not have said it better.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”