INDOOR MEET RESULTS

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:16 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:Sort of bringing up a dead topic:

I just had my second meet today...Tufts Invitational #2. I actually didn't stall at all. my grip was where I always have it (12'6" on a 13'155) I was planning on opening at 10'6", but feeling nervous I decided to open up at 10' (with standards at 50). I had a LOT of clearance at that height, and I felt a lot better about my jumping. I was landing pretty deep in the pit. 10'6" I missed my first attempt and then moved my standards back to 55, and I made it easy again. I was really pressing well. My standards ended up being as far back as 70 for my 12' attempts, but I kept kicking the bar on the way up because I was not getting inverted enough, obviously.

I had the shot put coach record my 12' attempts in case I made it...haha... so I'll get those online to show you. They were pretty good attempts, but no where as near as good as I did at Beach Vault. I feel so much better to be making heights again...tying my PR...woo
Sounds like you had as much fun as I did yesterday. But I woke up today really sore. LOL I jumped for only the second time in a year and a half. My last meet was a beach vault also, the www.WrightsvilleBeachVault.com . Clemson is a great place for indoor jumps with a really fast runway and great new equipment. I was gripping at about 12' 6" also, running from 5 lefts. I cleared 11' 6", not to terribly bad for a 43 yr old. It was a lot of fun. I felt very stiff through my shoulders and it shows up in the video. But not nearly as stiff as I felt this morning. :crying: LOL I guess if I'm going to vault I should at least work out some to loosen up. My typical workout is jumping in and out of the pit changing standards, although I have actually worked out twice since Christmas. I'll post the video when I grab it.

On a sad note from the meet, Vince Struble broke his pole and injured his ribs. He hit his takeoff great and put a great swing on the pole, and just destroyed it. I don't think his ribs were broken but he was in a lot of pain. He said when he moved he could feel a clicking in his chest. Those of you that don't know Vince, he is about 54 yrs old and held the Indoor World Record in his age group at 14' 2"+/- until it was broken last year in Reno by Jeff Kingstad(sp). Hopefully Vince will heal quickly from his injury.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:30 am

Way to go :) glad to see both of us having good days!

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”