Daniel Ryland Article

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Daniel Ryland Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:17 am

Hehe I think they butchered a few facts (Nationals in Jonesboro last year? :P ), but it looks like Daniel's fund raising efforts are paying off in some publicity which will hopefully translate into $$.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/6D1C329 ... 3CDC.shtml

Buckeye's Ryland rises to new heights in pole vault
Tim Harrison
Posted on December 26, 2003

Former Buckeye High School star Daniel Ryland's track and field exploits have taken him to such far away places as Cuba, Belgium and Ireland.

Ryland, who was a four-time state champion in the pole vault, 100-meter dash and 110-meter hurdles at Buckeye, would like to have his next trip outside the United States be in Athens at the 2004 Summer Olympic Games.

To do that, he must raise approximately $9,000 and finish as one of the top three vaulters at the Olympic Trials in Sacramento, Calif., in July. He qualified for the Olympic Trials with a vault of 18 feet, 2 inches at the U. S. Nationals held at Jonesboro, Ark. in 2002.

"I figure I will need a minimum of $13,000 in 2004 in order to travel to the meets I need to compete in, including the trials at Sacramento," said Ryland. "I have raised about $4,000 through contributions from individuals and about 10 business in Central Louisiana thus far."

Ryland explained that his $13,000 budget is a bare bones figure that covers only air fare, ground transportation, hotels and food, and does not include spending money or any luxury items.

He plans to compete in at least eight indoor meets through the end of February and several outdoor events in the spring before Sacramento.

"What most people don't realize is that each time I fly, I have to pay an extra $150-$300 just to transport my poles," he said. "Six 17-foot poles and a cover for them weighs about 50 pounds and is not considered luggage -thus the extra charge."

The 2002 Arkansas State graduate emphasized that American Olympic prospects are not subsidized by the government as they are in many countries.

"American pole vaulters, like other American athletes, must pay their own way or find someone or some organization to sponsor them," Ryland said. "I am presently living, working and training at the Bell Athletic Facility, an indoor training facility for pole vaulters, under the guidance of Earl Bell, a three-time Olympic vaulter."

According to Ryland, Bell Athletics is the center of pole vaulting in the U.S., and currently trains at least five world-ranked vaulters, including Jeff Hartwig, who was ranked No. 1 in the world last year.

"Being able to work with Bell and Hartwig has been invaluable for me and helped me make great improvement in my vaulting," he said. "My best vault in college was 16-8 while I was competing in the decathlon."

"Bell talked me into trying the pole vault in 2002 after I had finished my college career. Under his tutelage, I improved from 16-8 to 18-2 in just one year."

"Right now I am ranked 12th nationally and have cleared 18 feet five times. I think it'll take at least a jump of 18-4 to 18-10 to qualify for the Olympics, and I truly believe I can do that."

When asked about his goals after the 2004 Olympics, Ryland said he would like to compete on the European tour and also return to Louisiana to help young athletes.

"I believe I am good enough to compete in Europe," he said. "If I am good enough to be successful in Europe, then I'll be good enough to compete in two or three more Olympic games."

"My friend Jeff Hartwig is a perfect example of why I think I can compete 10 or 12 more years. He is 36 years old now and was ranked firth in the world just a year ago. He's currently ninth in the world rankings."

Contributions to Daniel Ryland can be made to the Cenla Olympic Fund at Red River Bank.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Daniel

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:26 pm

I have to tell you Jodie and I were so proud of and happy for Daniel...he got to jump on stage at Reno! The best part was the next evening while I was watching competitions, I saw three cute girls ask him for his autograph and then get a picture with him! I think he almost grinned his face off!!! It was priceless...I got it on video! :D
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: Daniel

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:35 pm

...he got to jump on stage at Reno!

Does anyone know how they pick who jumps on stage? There were a couple on stage who didn't jump that high last year and a couple in open 1 who jumped good last year. Just wondering.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:38 am

CowtownPV wrote:...he got to jump on stage at Reno!

Does anyone know how they pick who jumps on stage? There were a couple on stage who didn't jump that high last year and a couple in open 1 who jumped good last year. Just wondering.

They don't really tell you. There are separate elite meetings for the men and women for most of the day on thurs before the summit. Twenty or so men are invited and mainly only the women who are on stage are invited. At the end of the day the director of the mens meetings walks to the front of the room and anounces who is on stage, then walks out so no argument can be made. The women who are on stage know before they even get to Reno. I think on the mens side if you are in the NAPVA and jumped 5.55 or better in the prior year you get in. If you are a 5.60 jumper or better in the prior year you will most likely get in. But nothing is certain, because Paul Terek did not even get invited to the Elite meetings and he jumped 5.70 last year, I only jumped 5.50 and at least got invited to the meetings. I guess that doesn't necessarily answer your question, since it is not a scientific process, but it is all the info I have to offer.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

CowtownPV
PV Follower

Unread postby CowtownPV » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:30 am

Thanks for trying. I knew Paul and Jim Davis (5.60) jumped higher last year but didn't get on the stage.

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:33 am

Coach Fraley goes straight from USA Nationals from the year before, that is his number 1 criteria although that still leaves out a guy like Jim Davis for some reason, so I'm guessing special treatment is given to someone in the NAPVA or who knows someone. As far as Terek, Fraley has done that before, he feels USA Decathlon should take care of him instead of USA Pole Vault. I know that was his explination for Dominique Johnson one year. So basically, I've told you nothing here, sorry. Lon

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:21 am

its all bull**** politics.... Not who necesarily who jumped high enough, but who UCS thinks people want to see.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

CowtownPV
PV Follower

Unread postby CowtownPV » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:40 pm

[quote="lonpvh"]Coach Fraley goes straight from USA Nationals from the year before, that is his number 1 criteria although that still leaves out a guy like Jim Davis for some reason

Adam, Daniel and Jim all had NH at USATF last year.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:47 pm

VaultNinja wrote:The women who are on stage know before they even get to Reno.

They didn't all know.

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:25 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VaultNinja wrote:The women who are on stage know before they even get to Reno.

They didn't all know.

Who didn't know? My coach is in charge of the womens comp, and he does a pretty good job of letting everyone know who is on stage. The only person who might not have been sure was probably Shannon.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:43 pm

VaultNinja wrote:Who didn't know? My coach is in charge of the womens comp, and he does a pretty good job of letting everyone know who is on stage. The only person who might not have been sure was probably Shannon.

Haha that is who I was thinking of ;)

vaulterpunk
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby vaulterpunk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:10 pm

I met Daniel Ryland after one of the elite meetings and i thought he was a real cool guy. He seemed pretty down to earth. I hope he keeps jumping well.
"spandex they're a privlage not a right!"

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”