Scandal

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Scandal

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:49 pm

I just want to state my opinion about this whole deal of the athletes that tested positive. I think if they tested positive for it ban then and quit covering it up. I kinda think for some reason that usatf or usoc is trying to getting these people off for something they did do. I don't think thats fair for all the athletes that bust the rear to make it and get pushed out by a bunch of cheaters. I didn't write this to offend anyone just my thoughts and wonder if you guys feel they same way. If I can't do it on my own then I won't do it at all. I know there some other cases that are differnt such as Chases deal. But i mainly talking about steriods or Illegal enhancers.

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:30 pm

Totally agree. I think USATF had been in trouble with the popularity of the sport in general, when certain big stars came along and started to put T&F back back on the map I think USATF decided to cover up the fact they were taking all these enhancers and steroids since breaking world records left and right makes track look good and gives it a popularity boost. Unfortunately, this will eventually catch up with the sport as it is right now, and put all of us track and field athletes in a negative light due to a few people looking for the easy way to the top, and the people in power doing nothing to stop them. I really think it's a shame, but the bust are better late than never. I am also glad they are going for a lifetime ban first offense with steroids, maybe that will provide enough discouragement to keep people clean. Sadly, as bad as this scandal is, track may pale in comparison to other sports (basball, football) who are probably far worse, but their testing is next to nothing. I mean how do you go from having like 5-10 guys hitting over 50 home runs a couple years back to nobody doing it recently since some steroid allegations have been made, hmmm? I mean do you have old basball cards of Bonds and Sosa when they were rookies and skinny as heck, now they don't look human. The media needs to go both ways, don't mainly make it a track thing when there are plenty of other sports just as bad. Anyways thats just my 2 cents.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:45 pm

I am glad to see someone else looks at this situation the same way I do. Let the clean athlete compete and get rid of the dirty ones. We will do our best to make the sport more entertaining. Then there won't be one guy who is way above the rest.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:07 pm

I agree too...just too tired to type much more than that...

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:27 pm

Did you read the IAAF article about how mens pole is losing attention do to decrease in average and top hieghts each year? Well I hate to say it, but......... I think that one of the main reasons for that is because the drug testing has become so much more advanced, and they are catching so many different kinds now. I hate to say that about former vaulters, some of which are my heros, but logically it makes sense. What do you think?
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:02 pm

A lot of the "coverups" were for minor things like pseudoephedrine (found in most cold medicines).

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”