There is no decline, is everyone forgetting??

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

There is no decline, is everyone forgetting??

Unread postby russvault » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:35 pm

Names Toby Stevenson 26, Russ Buller 25, Brad Walker 23, Jeremy Scott23, Jim Davis 25, Kurt Hanna 27, others, what decline. All are either 27 or younger!!!!
what do you guys think!!

NovaVault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby NovaVault » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:03 pm

I totally agree, when I posted the IAAF article I was not implying that I agreed with them. I think that the US vaulters are looking especially strong right now because on top of all of the great jumpers we have in their mid-twenties we have an especially strong group of guys entering college this year. I think we're gonna turn a lot of heads when it comes to the 2004 Olympics and 2005 WC.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:14 pm

NovaVault wrote:I totally agree, when I posted the IAAF article I was not implying that I agreed with them. I think that the US vaulters are looking especially strong right now because on top of all of the great jumpers we have in their mid-twenties we have an especially strong group of guys entering college this year. I think we're gonna turn a lot of heads when it comes to the 2004 Olympics and 2005 WC.

the problem is that none of the young guys consistently step up and make US national teams...they let the old farts hand them their a** year after year at NCs...That being said, I fully expect a changing of the guard this year with my early picks for the OT being Buller, Stevenson, & Scott.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:04 am

I have to agree, I don't think there is a decline, but simply a switching of the guard. There is a huge amount of talent out there that should continue the strong US vault program as of late. Only time will tell, but the bottom line is once the old guys go someone will fill the void. Our current american record holder didn't reach his prime until his 30's. He was a 17'7 college vaulter. For all we know someone who isn't a big time vaulter at the moment may be a 20 footer in a few years.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:16 pm

achtungpv wrote:I fully expect a changing of the guard this year with my early picks for the OT being Buller, Stevenson, & Scott.

Off subject, but whats scott up to these days, I haven't talked to him in about a year,and I don't know if he still uses his old email.
Ow

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:56 pm

ANYONE GOT UPDATES ON WALKERS TRAINING. HAVEN"T HEARD MUCH SINCE HE BROKE THAT BONE IN HIS HAND LAST YEAR
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:50 am

Walker will have a big debut in Reno. Jeremy Scott has been training in Jonesboro since the summer.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Does Anyone think that ...

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:45 am

Does anyone think that it is attitude about altitude?
Do you think that the 20-foot barrier is just so intimidating we have not gotten over the shock?
Do you think that European vaulters have something like maybe better swing techniques?

[color=green][b]We need to try new things, new ideas, we have to go out on a limb, explore!

Oh and to try new poles too!! LOL

I was talking to a WORLD CLASS vaulter just the other day name withheld, about trying out our new poles?
What he said made sense on a comfort level!
HE was going to continue to use his set of poles he has had, even when his manufacturer made improvements he just updated the label, as he did not feel that he wanted to venture out and try something new!
Of course he cannot understand why he is jumping less than 19’6â€Â
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:38 am

People are forgetting that all sports come in waves. the current wave of pole vaulters haven't hit their peak yet, they all have years to go before they reach their full potential. After this next wave retires we will be in the same place with a new wave of vaulters entering the arena with a few years to go before they hit their peak.
So is there a decline?
No way, in fact we are in an up and coming surge.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:09 pm

I've always felt that American men have always been a bit of a psychological disadvantage...everyone looks at 19' as the barrier to beat...but the rest of the world looks at 6 meters (19'8 1/4"). It's seems Americans are more likely to stall out at 5.70-5.80, while Europeans stall out at 5.80-5.90...maybe there's some sort of self-imposed psychological barrier?

Just a thought.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:29 pm

I wouldn't count out the big guys yet. They aren't ready to give it up, and they consistently get the job done when it counts. There will always be a changing of the guard and who knows exactly when it will be and who will step up to the challenge. This is an Olympic year so I suspect there will be some unexpected results this summer, both good and bad. Maybe we should put together a board and place bets like for football games O:-). Winner wins a trip to the Olympics to watch the finals :P . Of course you can also get there by getting the job done on the runway. ;) You can have more fun too!
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:42 pm

I hope you don't think I can sponsor a trip to the Olympics! :eek:

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”