Kevin Brown

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Kevin Brown

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:21 am

Ive never heard of this guy before but he looked pretty fast on film? He looked like a stud athelete like LoJo.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:37 am

another guy i've seen on film that looked blazing is Riaan Botha of South Africa. This guys legs moved so fast that they are blury in the frames of the video! Anyone know how fast he was? 100m time? m/s?

The other guy who's speed i'd like to know is Markov. He looks to be head and shoulders above everyone jumping nowadays in terms of speed.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:31 am

vaultguru6 wrote:another guy i've seen on film that looked blazing is Riaan Botha of South Africa. This guys legs moved so fast that they are blury in the frames of the video! Anyone know how fast he was? 100m time? m/s?

The other guy who's speed i'd like to know is Markov. He looks to be head and shoulders above everyone jumping nowadays in terms of speed.

Kevin Brown had a lot of raw ability but seemed to be in dire need of long-term intensive sessions with a sports psychologist. Great physical talent though.

Botha was blazing fast...Starkey told me once that Botha was attempting to cap 17'6" poles taking off at like 12'. He broke both his legs a couple of years ago and retired from elite competition. Jumped over 17' this year in South Africa though.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: Kevin Brown

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:17 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:Ive never heard of this guy before but he looked pretty fast on film? He looked like a stud athelete like LoJo.

Kevin has incredible runway speed. Jeff Hartwig told us a few years ago that Kevin was one of the fastest he had seen on the runway. Kevin and I are good friends and talk regular but I rarely get to see him vault. We saw him last at the www.WrightsvilleBeachVault.com two or three years ago and he smoked 18' 2" by more than a foot. LoJo was there and I thought Kevin looked much better.

His is the pole vault coach at the Univ of South Carolina and is doing an outstanding job. Hard to be a great coach and world class vaulter at the same time though, so coaching seems to be his focus now. But I could be wrong... the Olympic Trials are right around the corner and I would not count him out just yet. ;)
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:59 pm

How old is Kevin? Whats the highest he ever jumped?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:01 pm

32, 33 or so? his best was 5.64 18'6"
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:14 pm

Kevin was and still is a stud athlete. I can't remember all his PR's but they are very impressive. 10.4ish 100, LJ about 25ft, Hurdles 14.0 or faster. He has competed in the last two Olympic trials, and as Carolina Extreme says is the current pole vault coach at USC. I also believe he has cleared either 18'8 or maybe even 19', but it was in a beach vault or non-recognized meet. Anyways he is definately one of the best coaches out there, not many people recognize him as a big time vault coach yet, but watch and notice that everywhere he has been their vaulters have had huge improvements, which I think is the sign of a very good coach. Anyonw can get a 17' highschool vaulter and get them jumping 17'6, heck just maturing from an 18 year old to 20 year old will do that alone. Great coaches are ones who can move people to the next level, and he has definately done that for me. I am definately not the most talented guy but I have managed to jump pretty high so far. And most of of us at Sc have had some big improvements from HS.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:05 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:How old is Kevin? Whats the highest he ever jumped?

He told a while back his best was 18' 8", I'm pretty sure. He is also South Carolina's go to guy for recruiting. He is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, they are pulling in the all of the great athletes they are and was very instrumental in the recruiting class that won the NCAA's two years ago.

He's also one of the speakers this weekend at a coaches clinic I'm attending. His knowledge of sprints, sprint mechanics and some serious conditioning is VERY impressive. We always talk about vaulting so I've never heard him talk in great detail about sprints, until tonight. The guy really knows his stuff. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Cpvault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College/Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Dean Starkey

Unread postby Cpvault » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:00 pm

I had the opportunity to see Kevin jump many times. He is a great athlete; but he must have slipped off the pole more times than anyone in history.

skycock
PV Nerd

Unread postby skycock » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:15 pm

Carolina21 wrote:Kevin was and still is a stud athlete. I can't remember all his PR's but they are very impressive. 10.4ish 100, LJ about 25ft, Hurdles 14.0 or faster. He has competed in the last two Olympic trials, and as Carolina Extreme says is the current pole vault coach at USC. I also believe he has cleared either 18'8 or maybe even 19', but it was in a beach vault or non-recognized meet. Anyways he is definately one of the best coaches out there, not many people recognize him as a big time vault coach yet, but watch and notice that everywhere he has been their vaulters have had huge improvements, which I think is the sign of a very good coach. Anyonw can get a 17' highschool vaulter and get them jumping 17'6, heck just maturing from an 18 year old to 20 year old will do that alone. Great coaches are ones who can move people to the next level, and he has definately done that for me. I am definately not the most talented guy but I have managed to jump pretty high so far. And most of of us at Sc have had some big improvements from HS.

Ditto
The road to the National Championships does not run through the Krispy Kreme.
Coach Stan Rosenthaul

gatorhatincracker
PV Fan

Unread postby gatorhatincracker » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:17 pm

"Doo Doo" Brown is not only a great coach and recruiter, he is a great pole vaulter. I was a vaulter for him for 4 years, and he helped me learn different aspects of the vault not too many coaches dwell on. I was a 15'5 PA state champ, and ended up with a collegiate PR of 17'1. I developed a bunch of bad habits in my 11 years of vaulting, but coach Brown always helped me get through those and build on his beliefs.

By the way, HE JUMPED 19 feet at a meet at OHIO STATE
Coach Frye: IF ITS TO BE....
USC TEAM (in unison) I M IN CLIQUE 3!

skycock
PV Nerd

Unread postby skycock » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:12 pm

gatorhatincracker wrote:I was a vaulter for him for 4 years, and he helped me learn different aspects of the vault not too many coaches dwell on.

i agree 100%. i went from jumping 4.90 from a 8-left run with a 15'9 grip last year to jumping over 5.00 from a 6-left run with a 14'0 grip on a 15 ft pole after only a few weeks practice this preseason. now i dont know how many coaches out there could change, as coach earl bell stated-"the worst formed 15 foot high school sophomore" he had ever seen into someone who now actually knows how to pole vault instead of just clear bars in that amount of time. and for all of the coach kevin brown-haters out there in polevaultpower.com-land, how high did your coach jump again? when it comes down to it, he wont give two sh*ts about the people out there who talk about him running through more than your world class vaulter should because any way you slice it, he was and still is a "World Class Vaulter" who has been to two olympic trials already. so f*ck the running through, at the end of the day he goes to sleep knowing that he has jumped over 19 feet-and not to mention coached three of the hardest clique 4 members on this web-ring. so go on and give us south cackalacky boys a challenge and we'll rise to the occasion.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”