Where are you in training?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

wacky274
PV Follower

Where are you in training?

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:57 pm

Hey, just wondering what sort of stuff everyone is doing for training right now? when is the first time you will get to even touch a pole again?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:06 pm

right now at Michigan State, we are in the serious weight lifting, we start olympic lifts next week. Coniditioning, a few segment runs, some shorter sprints and 100m strides. Mainly doing base work. And were in the Gymnastics room. So our bases will be covered. Soon though, we will start doing more speed and quick-twitch stuff. And our weight lifting will be increased to more weight.

I think in a couple weeks we'll get on some poles just doing some short staright pole swing up type stuff... maybe bend a pole shortly there after..

Im curious what other schools are doing right now.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:11 pm

We're vaulting maybe once or twice a week. Just short run stuff, no more than 3 lefts, and some slide boxes and pole runs on the track. In addition to our track workouts, we have weights 3x a week, and gymnastics 2x a week.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:07 pm

well, iv been doin heavy allot of lifting (put on 30 pounds over the summer :D ), im doin running, slide boxes, and whatever else i can get acess to. im trying to find somewhere to practice vaulitng during the winter, but no luck so far :confused: if anyone else form MI knows of somewhere to jump, leme know!
What have you done today to get better?

keelowman
PV Nerd

Unread postby keelowman » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:03 am

we have tryouts on the 20 so we are all on our own till then. I am just doing some speed and stamina work, trying to lose those summer pounds. :mad:
ahh San Diego: women, sun , beaches, pole vault, what else do you need.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:17 am

I'm currently doing 12oz curls and 2 mile liquor store runs. :devil:
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:18 am

we just started doing walk plants and pole carries yesterday. we won't start doing anyting in the box till november maybe.
8700... mark it down

nzsprinter
PV Nerd

Unread postby nzsprinter » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:05 pm

well since i'm not doing any "pole vault" training i shouldn't put this in here Hmmm anyone doing 16x200 @ 30sec yet??.. well its like 200 @ 30sec .. turn around a cone and run back in 30 sec .. so a 400 in 60 sec /w 2 mins rest while doing crunches oh the fun and that isn't even the hardest workout....... (I'm going to die) and after that is weights.........

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:22 am

right now I practice MWF...even though there are captain practices all week long... we basically only do running work...I don't think I"ll be able to pick up a pole until Indoor's Official practice actually starts :(

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:16 am

I officially started vaulting mine on Monday, but they have asked me a few time over the last month, so we are really about 2 months into jumping. We are gonna stay at 6-8 steps this month, then try to jump PR's from 10-12 next month. We won't go back longer than that till closer to indoor.

I feel for some of you guys, I try to get the volume of running and weights in along with the jumping. I try to structure the program where we do technique stuff after rest or off day, and most of our volume the day after without sacraficing the training.

LB

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:09 am

lonpvh wrote:I officially started vaulting mine on Monday, but they have asked me a few time over the last month, so we are really about 2 months into jumping. We are gonna stay at 6-8 steps this month, then try to jump PR's from 10-12 next month. We won't go back longer than that till closer to indoor.

I feel for some of you guys, I try to get the volume of running and weights in along with the jumping. I try to structure the program where we do technique stuff after rest or off day, and most of our volume the day after without sacraficing the training.

LB

That's good stuff Lon! I don't understand the popular mentality out there that you have to wait until November or December until you touch a pole. I suppose if all you do is go long, maybe that's a good plan, but if you're mixing it up with short run jumping, why wouldn't you want to work on technique throughout the year? I've heard people complain of burnout, but if you build in more short breaks throughout the year instead of one long break from summer to fall, you don't burn out. Using a variety of approach lengths keeps things interesting also - break your pr's from every stride instead of just going for the ultimate pr from long run.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:21 pm

lonestar wrote:That's good stuff Lon! I don't understand the popular mentality out there that you have to wait until November or December until you touch a pole. I suppose if all you do is go long, maybe that's a good plan, but if you're mixing it up with short run jumping, why wouldn't you want to work on technique throughout the year? I've heard people complain of burnout, but if you build in more short breaks throughout the year instead of one long break from summer to fall, you don't burn out. Using a variety of approach lengths keeps things interesting also - break your pr's from every stride instead of just going for the ultimate pr from long run.

or, you can just vault once a week, cause i still feel like i can pr and wanna vault even after the year's over in june. but we start in late october, or early november, i can't remember really.
8700... mark it down

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”