former collegiate great making a comeback for '08

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

FreightTrain
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, occasional open competitor
Lifetime Best: 4.90 m

Unread postby FreightTrain » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Okay here's another clue for everyone to chew on. One of the hidden clues (now missing) was "Easter egg" or something to that effect. achtungPV maybe pointing to thatclue by repeating a quote about egging us on (cuz for sure he's in on it).

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:29 am

I'll admit it.....I abused my administrative priviliges and planted those numbers and invisible stuff in his posts. I did it to try to mess with some of you guys since you seem to be turning this whole thing into a big conspiracy and thought it would give you guys something fun to chase. achtungpv was helping by egging you guys on. I'm surprised you guys caught on to it so fast. i figured it would sit there a while before anyone would even notice. kudos to you guys and my apologies to ***** for turning this into a big mess.

He's very sincere in his efforts and I know he hopes to reap the rewards of all the hard work he's put into this.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 am

ashcraftpv wrote:I'll admit it.....I abused my administrative priviliges and planted those numbers and invisible stuff in his posts. I did it to try to mess with some of you guys since you seem to be turning this whole thing into a big conspiracy and thought it would give you guys something fun to chase. achtungpv was helping by egging you guys on. I'm surprised you guys caught on to it so fast. i figured it would sit there a while before anyone would even notice. kudos to you guys and my apologies to ***** for turning this into a big mess.

He's very sincere in his efforts and I know he hopes to reap the rewards of all the hard work he's put into this.

so with 5 *'s in the last sentence, 1st paragraph.. its a name with 5 letters!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:48 am

This is stupid. I quit.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:02 am

could be a last name too LOL.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:57 am

SlickVT wrote:And I also find it interesting that Becca, the only person who can ping IP addresses has stayed curiously out of this topic...

Becca... any input? I know you wouldn't tell a lie! :yes:

Of course I know who it is. Do you seriously think I would let someone post something like this without finding out who they were?

I promised I wouldn't tell!

We are trying to work out a way to do an interview though. If you guys have any questions you would like to ask the mystery vaulter, post them here and I will see if I can squeeze them in.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:19 am

Question #1 - What was the turning point when you knew you were gonna make a come back?

Question #2 - Why did you have to tease us for this long before you would reveal who you really are?

And his name is not Mr. John C. Its Brent Burns. Add up the numbers he gave us, and you get 108 divided by 6 to find the average is 18. With that average, go down the list of all americans, and you get Brent Burns. And both brent and burns have 5 *'s in them. Now I rest my case
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:19 am

i saw an interview with bubka on youtube, and someone asked him if he was to pick up a pole today how high did he think he could go ... atleast 5.2? and he was like no, id get 5.5 atleast. Too old for a comeback?.. id like to see it!

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 am

ashcraftpv wrote:I'll admit it.....I abused my administrative priviliges and planted those numbers and invisible stuff in his posts. I did it to try to mess with some of you guys since you seem to be turning this whole thing into a big conspiracy and thought it would give you guys something fun to chase. achtungpv was helping by egging you guys on. I'm surprised you guys caught on to it so fast. i figured it would sit there a while before anyone would even notice. kudos to you guys and my apologies to ***** for turning this into a big mess.

none of his quotes say "edited", administrators can edit without showing it?
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 am

spike gibeault wrote:

none of his quotes say "edited", administrators can edit without showing it?

my thoughts exactly!
Isaiah 40:31

LHSvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter, Huge Fan!
Lifetime Best: 13-6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSvaulter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am

Why is it so hard to find any relevant information on Brent Burns? I can't find an in depth bio or anything.

About the 92- could it be the year of marriage or the year of birth for one of his children/ maybe he has twins.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:38 am

Brent was a multiple All-American at Cal with a PR of 5.70. I believe he may have equaled this PR several times. I think he's still #2 all time in CA HS with 17'8 1/2" after misplaced Texan Brandon Richards (ha ha, had to get that in there). He was also around a 14.0 110H in college, so he had/has wheels. He was a 3-time OT finalist...'92, '96, '00. He owns his own business so he could potentially have time to dedicate to training.

I was told by an elite vaulter once that there were two guys that he thought could come back from years of inactivity and jump 18' on natural talent alone...these vaulters were Brent Burns and Sean Brown. (this is true, not egging anybody on. :) )

Could it be neovault himself?
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”