Oly Trials Standards

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Oly Trials Standards

Unread postby Barto » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:25 pm

Just took a look at the new "B" standards for next year. The men are at 5.50m and women 4.27m.

Not a big deal except in 03' there were 23 men jump 5.50, but only 13 women jumped 4.27! The field sizes for next year are both set at 24.

What gives with the women's standard?

I know that the event is still emerging, but I will kiss anyone's foot who can tell me 24 women will jump 14' next year. ;)

Barto

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:54 pm

yeah, the women's standard seems pretty. they probably set it when the event seemed to be improving more dramatically. now it seems to have leveled out more than everyone expected. of course since its an olympic year, people may pull out all of the stops and put up some big marks. i bet that enoug people make it

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:14 pm

im assuming that the "B" standards are like the provisional standards.....( only a certain amount of people above that height can go)

What is the "A" standard, or the Automatic height ????
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:22 pm

doesn't matter. they'll just fill out the field with the next best anyway. Hell, the best guy could jump 13' and they'd still fill out the field to 24 entries.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:22 pm

I've seen women at Mizzou go 13'6" and that was this past spring at an all-comers meet. And I've seen some pretty promising young ladies going to Nebraska as freshmen. I have a feeling there will be more women than you might think thinking about Athens. :D
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:10 am

OK, of course they are going to take the top 24 no matter what the height is we all know that, but the point of a "B" standard is that it is supposed to be a minimum to be considered.

Past years results in US:
2000 - 9 over 4.27
2001 - 9 over 4.27
2002 - 13 over 4.27
2003 - 13 over 4.27

So why would we think that suddenly the number of national class vaulters is going to double in one year when the event has been pretty stagnant for the last 5? It just seems inconsistent with the USA Nationals qualifying marks from last year of 4.17 "A" and 4.10 "B".

Why have a "B" standard when you know you will have to take athletes who didn't hit it?

Barto

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

womens heights

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:25 am

Hey I could be wrong. But I would like you to consider something.

It hasn't been that long since Dragila was vaulting for exhibition at the Olympics. In our state alone (MO) girls didn't vault in Jr.High or High School until around 1999. Bear in mind guys have been jumping practically forever. Dragila probably inspired more girls with that Visa commercial than we will ever know. In any event, the ground swell of girls/women vaulting has risen dramatically to the point where I believe that the heights suggested (14') will only be a matter of time. Think of the last four years as the leading edge of the vanguard. As the poles improve, and the women actually get good coaching and use the work ethic most of the girls I know have, it's gonna be pretty interesting for the fans. :D Hey, they already have their own calendar, what have you guys been doing? :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:07 pm

They probably raised the women standard to the standards of the olympic games. That would be my guess and I don't think its that bad a thing. You watch and see how many girls jump that high. LB

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:06 pm

I think they are going to end up taking people below the B standard again, which just makes them look dumb for having those standards in the first place. Why not just say "we'll take the top 24 vaulters in the country from the past 2 years" or whatever?

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Calendar

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:04 pm

We have been vaulting and not posing in magazines. thats why 14 feet isn't mens qualifying for the Olymics... Whoa whoa whao. Just kidding. Sorry ladies, you know we love you. Haha. :D
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Steph
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30

Standards

Unread postby Steph » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:44 pm

By my unprofessional calcuations, there have been around 17 girls that jumped over 4.27 in the past 2 years. I agree with Lon, I think the standards are good and alot of girls are going to qualify. Also, Olympic year and everyone comes out of the woodwork.
Those on top of the mountain did not fall there.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”