USATF Women - Live updates beginning at noon eastern

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm

I know that WE understand that, but the blurb said Lacy got 3rd and the jump off put her 4th - correct? Thanks! Great job again! You're priceless!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:15 pm

I am typing without consulting the rules, but I believe that heights in jump offs for first place do count for finishing height. The jump off above was not for place but for the spot on the team. So, I would think that the result would stand as a tie for 3rd place at 435.

The 3rd placer clearing higher than the champion does make for an interesting bit of trivia. What would have happened if some kind of record was set in the jump off??

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Skyin' Brian wrote:I am typing without consulting the rules, but I believe that heights in jump offs for first place do count for finishing height. The jump off above was not for place but for the spot on the team. So, I would think that the result would stand as a tie for 3rd place at 435.

That is consistent with what the announcer was saying.

TrackCEO
PV Fan
Expertise: Fan

Unread postby TrackCEO » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 am

Where in USATF rulebook does it stipulate a unanimous vote is required to turn a runway event around?

Why didn't the head field judge exercise his/her authority to make the ladies jump with a wind. Could have defended the move as "in the interest of athletes' health and safety."

Geeze.

ken

shevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby shevaulter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:49 am

My husband who was out there said the coaches and girls were all blaming it on one athlete but about 5 or 6 came up to him and told him to leave it. I'm not sure who they were..he said their complaint was if they switched the pad they would only get less than 1/2 hour warm up time for the entire field. They were going to start the meet at 12 no matter what. It came down to a full warm up or one run through.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 am

In this meet, the decision to switch the direction of any venue is in the hands of the Meet Referee or the Field Referee, not the head field judge of that event.
There is no voting though he/she may ask for input.

Based on what I read and heard said on TV, the winds were cross winds not head winds.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:15 am

The winds were both head and cross but mainly head. Most of the athletes who I talked to said they were told TV wanted it set up that direction. The decs were the only ones allowed to vault the other direction. The winds really sucked all weekend because they were swirling and inconsistent which made pole selection a nightmare. I think turning it would have helped some but it still was not a good weekend for jumping.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:43 am

The winds looked more consistent for the women's pole vault than any of the others. I never once saw it blow tail.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 am

I was on the field and although the flags looked like they were blowing cross and from the stands it felt like cross... it was straight up head ALL DAY... not one cross tail or anything like that... straight up head.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”