LoJo talking big?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:37 pm

Lojo is so full of s***. I saw those jumps from 2001 indoors and he wasnt even close to 6.15 on ANY of his jumps. Yeah, he got his legs over, and drug the bar down a foot. I would have to say any of those jumps were 5.95 jumps at best.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:38 pm

lonpvh wrote:Kind of hard to set the world record when you keep landing in the box. LB

LOL ;)

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:40 am

a lotta talk, no walk. 6.15 will stand for a long time. and LOJO jumped 5.97, not 5.90 or whatever you said.

jomrus
PV Whiz

Unread postby jomrus » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:49 pm

Wow you guys... The guy has been injured, so it would be expected that he would land in the box. Give him a break.
JR+MS=JR&MR

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:47 pm

jomrus wrote:Wow you guys... The guy has been injured, so it would be expected that he would land in the box. Give him a break.

Does anyone else see a problem with this statement?

Injured or uninjured, there's no reason an experienced vaulter should ever land in the box. Lower the grip, start on a smaller pole, and make the pit. If he can't do that, he doesn't belong at the National Championships.

keulpv
PV Fan

Unread postby keulpv » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:23 pm

I totally agree. And I can speak from personal experience having landed in the box at nationals before. Thank god I have fixed that habit since.

jomrus
PV Whiz

Unread postby jomrus » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:17 am

Whoa, didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, it's just that there seems to be a lot of tide against LoJo, and I was wondering what the guy did to deserve such a bad rap. I think he deserves a lot of credit for what he did at least in college. But whatever... you guys know everything
JR+MS=JR&MR

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:23 am

I think he just gives off the wrong vibes. Too cocky or whatever. I've never met him, so maybe he is a cool guy. But I have also never heard anybody say, "Oh yeah, LoJo is a really cool guy, he just comes off wrong to people..."

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:53 am

Yeah, he does give off the cocky "Maurice Greene-type" vibe a lot of the time. Talks pretty big but seldom backs it up. On the other hand, I think there may be a pretty nice guy behind the image.

To quote one unnamed elite vaulter I know: "When Lawrence is in the U.S., he's an ass____ ...when we're in Europe and he doesn't have a coach and is begging the rest of us to help him, he's alright."

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:36 am

LoJo is an incredible athlete, probably the best in the sport, and I have the upmost respect for him. I'm just saying that 6.15 will be around for a long, long time, regardless of what LoJo has said.

And when jumping in something as big as a National Championships, when everything is on the line, I see nothing wrong with going to a big pole and coming up short. Its the meet of the year. You gotta make things happen, you can't wait for it. And sometimes when you try and make things happen they don't happen and you end up near the box. Plus the dude was jumping with a freakin broken hand. He earns major stud points in my books for that.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:36 am

I don't think it was actually broken, but Matt Phillips was jumping with a hurt hand also, so you should give him major stud points as well :heart:

jomrus
PV Whiz

Unread postby jomrus » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:45 pm

Yeah I don't see LoJo going 6.15 either, but he's probably got the best chance as far as ability is concerned. But let me spin some yarn here. I competed against a kid in high school who was a nobody in the pole vault his junior year, and then went 16' his senior year in indoors. Now this was Ohio, so all you people thinking 16' in high school isn't that great then realize that 16'4'' is the high school record. Anyway, this kid could do hurdles, 400, and pretty much anything else. I hated him because he seemed cocky to me. Everyone else I talked to felt the same way. I ended up going to the same college by chance, and found out he was my roommate. He is the coolest dude ever, now that I found out what he was like away from track. I guarantee LoJo is facing the same sort of bad rap. Anyways, that's my two cents. Have a good weekend.
JR+MS=JR&MR

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”