Stirling Van Winkle Article (FL)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Stirling Van Winkle Article (FL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:16 am

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahas ... 356530.htm

Maclay's Van Winkle smiles despite off day

By Jim Henry

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

A bloody gash below his lip wasn't the keepsake Stirling Van Winkle had hoped to take from Saturday's Seminole Track Invitational at Mike Long Track.

Van Winkle, a senior at Maclay, entered the 27-team meet with the Big Bend's best mark in the pole vault at 14 feet. In fact, Van Winkle was looking to give the Marauders a sweep in the pole vault as teammate and defending ClassA state champion Lori Bowen captured the girls event (12 feet) Friday.

Van Winkle, however, was eliminated late in the boys competition when, on his third attempt, he smacked the bar near his chin on his way down. Making matters worse, the bar also hit Van Winkle near his mouth on his landing.

Despite his troubles, the double-whammy didn't dampen Van Winkle's enthusiasm.

"It's just one of those things," Van Winkle smiled, wiping the blood from below his lip. "I have been getting better each meet until I came over here and hurt myself (laughing)."

Van Winkle has made impressive progress in a short period as he's participating in track and field for the first time. An accomplished gymnast, Van Winkle came out for the team at the urging of coaches and friends.

Van Winkle says his gymnastics background has helped him with the pole vault.

"As a gymnast, you are used to going upside down, falling down and going backward," Van Winkle said. "I just picked it up pretty quickly. The main thing is to be aggressive - I just want to run hard on the approach and attack the bar."

Van Winkle's marks have improved from 10-6 in his first meet this season to 14-0 in the City Championship on Tuesday. To put that in better perspective, Erick Anderson, of Northside Christian, won the boys ClassA state pole vault last year at 13 feet.

Van Winkle is working to qualify for the ClassA state meet later this month in Gainesville. He's also preparing for the USA Gymnastics Nationals in early May. Van Winkle plans to continue his gymnastic career in college, attracting interest from James Madison and the Air Force Academy.

His future may also include track and field despite Saturday's mishap.

"It has been a lot of fun," Van Winkle said. "I am upset with myself that I didn't start earlier, even though my coach has been trying to get me out for track since the seventh grade. I am just going out and trying to get better each meet - not including this one (smiling)."
Seminole Invitational

Pole vault - 1. David Cotton (Gaines) 13-0; 2. David Lane (PKY) 13-0; 3. Jonathan Roberts (Chil) 13-0.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:43 pm

let me just say that stirling is great! we've gone to school together since 6th grade, and he's a really good gymnast. he only started vaulting this season, and he's already going 14'.

any college coaches looking for a 6'+ 175lbs guy with a gymnastics background PLEASE e-mail me at peeperspv@aol.com. he REALLY wants to vault in college, so someone let me know! :D

plus, he's a super sweet dude :P
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”