Garret Scantling article (FL)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Garret Scantling article (FL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:45 pm

http://fl.milesplit.com/articles/64570

BOYS WINNER: Garret Scantling - Senior @ Jacksonville Episcopal

Episcopal coach Pat Crandall first met Garrett Scantling when he was in the 7th grade. He remembers the first time Scantling came out to practice quite well.

“When I got him he was a little stick pole. He could high jump 4-6 and pole vault 6-0. He couldn’t do anything because he was a skinny little boy.”

Over those five years, Scantling has grown physically and as an athlete. Scantling hit a growth spurt his sophomore year, hit a plateau as a junior, and then grew again his senior year. He currently stands 6’3 and 185 lbs. His size combined with the weight training from football makes him a pure athlete.

“I call him an athletic savant. Anything I show him he can immediately do shot put, discus, triple jump. His body is meant to do anything athletic.”

Click on the link to read the rest of the article...

http://fl.milesplit.com/articles/64570

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Garret Scantling article (FL)

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I saw this guy a few weeks ago. He is a monster! He is probably going to make a decathlon coach very happy, but I would love to see him just focus on the vault. He pretty much jumps over the bend of a 15'6 grip on what I think was a 200lb pole, then he just swings up and turns over the bar. He had really good running technique but looked like he had a lot more in the tank. Once he learns a top half and brings some real speed down the runway he is going to jump some massive heights.

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”