2011 Indoor meets in the SE with HS Pole Vault

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

2011 Indoor meets in the SE with HS Pole Vault

Unread postby Divalent » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am

[Update Jan 2: date change for Clemson meet: now Sat Jan 22 (not sunday, Jan 23)]
[Updated Dec 31: adding in the Jan 22nd!!! Clemson meet, and on Jan 1 to add McNeese state meet info (note: they are having two meets now; 2nd on Feb 5th)]

I've assembled a list of some indoor meets in the Southeast that are open to club and/or unattached athletes. (In some cases, also open to school teams, but that depends on your state rules). Please note the opening heights and/or entry standards, as some of these meets are very selective and have limited field sizes (e.g., boys had to have cleared 13' just to get into the UK meet last year).

Note: I'll periodically edit/update this post as additional information becomes available.

General note: for the LA meets, LA HS athletes *MUST* compete for their school. (They cannot compete for a club. Athletes from other states can compete for a club.)

Jan 7-8, 2011 (F/Sa) LSU Indoor Classic, Baton Rouge, LA. $10 per athlete (for however many events LHSAA limits one to). Schedule: PV on Sat, girls at 11 am (8'0" open), boys at 3pm (11'6" open). HS athletes can compete for their HS (if their state association allows; LA students *MUST* compete for their HS) or for a club, but not unattached. Here's a link to the LSU 2010/2011 general HS meet information page, and it now has a link to info on this meet (scroll down): http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=526148

Jan 15th (Sat) McNeese State U HS invitational #1. St Charles LA (about 2+ hours west of Baton Rouge) $10 per athlete (for however many events LHSAA limits one to). Like the LSU meet, can compete only for your HS or for a club (but not unattached). Link for info: http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticl ... SID=107045 (click on the link for the "McNeese State High School Indoor Meet 1") Girls at 10am, boys at 12 noon.

Jan 22nd (Saturday!) Clemson Indoor HS Invitational. Clemson, SC. $25 per athlete for up to 3 events. Looks like an open event that one can compete in unattached. Girls PV at 12 noon, boys PV at 2pm. Girls opening 2.10m (6'10"), Boys 2.80m (9'2"). Milesplit meet page (with a link to specifics in the "Attachment" section): http://sc.milesplit.com/meets/83985

Jan 29-30, 2011 (Sa/Su) Jimmy Carnes Invitational, UFla, Gainesville, FL. $20 per athlete, up to 3 events. Can compete for a club or as unattached. PV on Sat, girls early AM, boys following (openings will be girls 6'10", boys 9'2"). Milesplit meet page (has link to specific meet info): http://fl.milesplit.com/meets/78473.

Feb 4-5, 2011 (F/Sa) KTC Indoor Track Classic, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee. $14 per athlete, up to 3 events. Can compete for a club or as unattached. Girls compete Friday evening at 7pm; Boys on Saturday at 4:30pm. Opening heights for PV: boys 12'0", girls 9'0" Link to this meet: http://www.ktcyouthathletics.org/KTCHSIndoor.html

Feb 5th (Sat) McNeese State U HS invitational #2. St Charles LA. $10 per athlete (for however many events LHSAA limits one to). Can compete only for your HS or for a club (but not unattached). Link for info: http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticl ... SID=107045 (click on the link for the "McNeese State High School Indoor Meet 2") Girls at 10am, boys at 12 noon.

Feb 19, 2011 (Sa) U KY Invitational, Lexington KY U. $10 per athlete, per event. Girls at 10:30am, boys follow. $10 per athlete (for however many events LAHSA limits one to). Can compete for HS, or a club, or as unattached. Opening heights for PV: boys 11'0", girls 8'0" (but entry mark cutoff to get in last year was 13' for boys(!) and 8' for girls). Link to this meet: http://uktrack.homestead.com/UKHSInviteindex_2011.html

Finally, here is a link to the ESPN Rise master HS indoor schedule, which appears to include any indoor meet in the US that they become aware of, but which does not include links to web pages that would allow one to determine eligibility. (And they say the list is just HS meets, but there are a lot of College only meets on it, so not very useful)
http://rise.espn.go.com/track-and-xc/us ... endar.aspx
Last edited by Divalent on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 32 times in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 2011 Indoor meets in the SE with HS Pole Vault

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Great list! :yes:

ncparent
PV Newbie
Expertise: parent
Favorite Vaulter: my daughter

Unread postby ncparent » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

There will not be any meets at UNC Chapel Hill this year. The indoor track is closed. I believe it's being used to store football equipment. I think they've torn down some other building and track and field athletes are required to pay the price. I've heard that UNC will not have any home meets this year. The worst thing in my opinion is that there may not be a indoor track meet for the high school kids. That is the only indoor facility in North Carolina and the North Carolina High School Athletics Association hasn't decided if there will be a meet at all, move it to another state(Va likely) or do an outdoor polar bear meet.

Update: Because of fall break I had an opportunity to walk through the Eddie Smith Fieldhouse (this is where the indoor meets are held in NC) and....

The only equipment in there is some weights and other lifting equipment. This is only in the small areas on each side of the track, the track and infield are wide open. For those who have been to a track meet there, one side had a bleacher or two and the other side kids usually spread out and made that small area standing room only. I would be surprised if this equipment would fill a semi trailer.
I hope the North Carolina Athletics Association looks a little deeper into trying to find a way to use the facility for the state meet. Could we find a way to ask to move the small amount of equipment to a rented trailer for the weekend? If not, could this be done on 2 weekends? Maybe field one weekend and track another. Could we raise the entry standards? This would cut down on the number of entries and spectators. I would think that the loss of these small areas has UNC or maybe the fire marshal concerned and a solution has to be out there. Also, I checked the UNC website and they are having some indoor meets this year.
Last edited by ncparent on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divalent
PV Whiz

Unread postby Divalent » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:56 am

Bumping to move this thread up, as I've updated the post at the top with lots of additional information and live links to the actual meet pages for a few more of these meets (and added the McNeese St meets).

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby PV-ATL » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 am

Stay Patient Indoor Fans,

Our frustrations may be a bit aleviated next year when the indoor facility opens in Birmingham, Alabama.

This is to be one of the few hydraulic , banked, 6 lane tracks in the world. Mondo surface, I believe. I heard rumors about it being built, so I googled "Indoor Track Facility in Birmingham, Alabama". It's true. This is being built and should be finished by summer, 2011.

Now we have to get our selves invited to some of the meets being held there next year. I am looking forward to more oportunities for my kids.

Anyone in Alabama have any updated information on this facility?

Cheers,

PV-ATL

Divalent
PV Whiz

Unread postby Divalent » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Bumping the thread, as it turns out that Clemson will host a meet in Jan (good find, PV-ATL). Info added in the original post at the top. Also (on Jan 1) added the 2nd McNeese State meet, and put in entry fees for each meet.

Note that they changed the date for the Clemson meet: now SAT Jan 22.

Borntovault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Club Team Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.25
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby Borntovault » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 am

Yes the rumors are true about the facility in B'Ham, Alabama. I'm originally from there and the facility is still on schedule as far as I know. I can't wait for it to be completed and get an opportunity to jump there. My father was fortunate enough to see the blueprints and see the plan of the facility before construction began and he told me that if it is built just the way they plan it then it will be unbelievable. The facility will host everything from HS to elite level athletes and as you said, it will be hydraulic banked mondo surfacing. The best part about the facility is that it is run by the city, but under no other departmental branch (Not run under a Parks and recreation department). So the facility has to anwser to no one besides the mayor's office for approval. This cuts down on slow downs on getting meets approved and all the other problems that happens due to chain of command in city governments. I currently train at Bell Athletics in Jonesboro, AR and after telling the guys here about this place they're all jacked up to go down and compete there. If I here anymore news on this subject I will post it.
Chris Spear

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”