Jason Roberts Broken Knee

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Jason Roberts Broken Knee

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey guys just giving the vault world a little update.

Jason roberts from lecanto florida and Velocity Pole Vault(aka me)

I Set up the velocity pole vault team so that we could train year round. We got the pits out over the summer and jumped great. I went from jumping 11-15ft last year during the season and started going at 16ft from a five left in practice over the summer. Football season rolls around and we had to put up the pits. So we weightlifted and sprinted for 14 weeks. Im 5'6-5'7 140 lbs and i was eventually leg pressing over 700 pounds explosively! well football season ends.

pits come back out in november. start jumping great again. late december i started getting back on big poles and trying to jump high from a 5 step. January rolls around and i had still been blowing through all my poles. well early January i got on a 15ft 160 from a 5 step. (That pole would have put me back up around 16ft again). It was a cold day and my hands were dry. i planted the pole. put a big bend in it and when i got about 6 inches off the ground my top hand popped off ( thanks to the dry hands and messed up grip) the bend came back and hit me square in the kneecap.

well i didnt know until two weeks later that it was actually broken! :no:
the top right corner of my kneecap was completley broken off. i had a couple choices. a brace. or surgery. i chose the brace! lol

its now just about march and the doctors have said my knee is 100 percent. im super excited to work back into things and eventually be able to sprint again in a couple weeks. my projected heal time was 3 months and miraculously its only taken a little over a month and a half!!!

I can jump from a 2 step right now and can probably clear around 12 12 6 from it. Thats not important though.

anyway just figured id share what was going on. I really had hoped to be over 16 by this point in the season in practice at least. --- i still have 5 colleges left on my signing options list and im still narrowing it down. if anyones interested in my recruitment just ask.

anyway. im not going to quite jump the way i wanted to this year but my aim is to jump real high over the summer. ill keep you updated on this topic. i guess this was sort of a personal blog but o well. anyone that wants to share some inspirational stories or pray for my continual progress in healing is more than welcome to! thanks again!
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Re: Jason Roberts Broken Knee

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey, so i said id give you all updates. Well today was the first day back working out. I was able to get a mile run in to loosen up my knee and just get it used to running. I went from a 2 step and jumped 11'6 and went from a 3 step and jumped 13ft right off the bat! i havent vaulted in over two months and my first day back with zero speed im still in the swing of things. I even did sum accel/ decels across the feild at half speed. I cant wait to get my speed back and start jumping high again. THE HARDEST PART ABOUT AN INJURY IS HAVING TO SIT THERE AND WATCH THE KIDS YOUR COACHING GO AT SOME OF YOUR PR'S/. Man i missed this feeling!

IluvMarkHollis
PV Wannabe

Unread postby IluvMarkHollis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Mark Hollis did the same thing at USA Outdoor 2009. His top hand slipped and the pole hit him in the left foot. He ended up breaking his second toe, but he could still finish out the meet. Now I know it could have been much worse. Good luck with your recovery and endeavors in the future.
AW- Retired PV, Mark Hollis freak

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:50 pm

WELL. today was pretty much my second day back jumping. i only went from a 3 step but some BIG things were happening. I am 5'6-5'7 140lbs and i was on a 14ft 150 from a 3left. I wound up jumping 14ft from a 3 left today gripping 13ft!!!!! now if only i could get some speed back move back to some longer approaches and jump 16'6

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 am

jumped 14ft while CRUSHING my pole at our district meet. Standards were all the way back at 32 and the pole still wasnt giving me any kick. But that was a good solid meet for me, i was able to relax get in a rythym and hit some good jumps. Im deffinetly moving up on pole this next practice and for regionals and state. 14'6 will be absolute cake with it. and im pretty sure i can hit 15 with that pole. Not bad for only about a month of vaulting after cracking your patella in half!

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”