Blair Severson adds to family history (TX)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Texas

Moderator: achtungpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Blair Severson adds to family history (TX)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm

http://www.tdtnews.com/story/2009/06/06/58446

Holland sophomore Severson wins Class A pole vault, adds to family's history
by Ryan Schneider | Sports Writer
Published: June 6, 2009
AUSTIN - Holland’s Blair Severson spent years simply trying to be the best pole vaulter in his own family.
Now, as just a sophomore, Severson is the best Class A pole vaulter in the state.

Severson claimed the gold medal by clearing 14 feet, 3 inches Friday morning at the University Interscholastic League State Track and Field Meet at Texas’ Mike A. Myers Stadium, adding another chapter to his family’s pole vaulting history.

“It’s a family tradition,” Severson said, with the gold medal dangling from his neck. “I’ve been working for this since the first time I picked up a pole.”

When he started in seventh grade, Severson just wanted to beat the marks set by his father, Doug, a 1982 state bronze medalist, and his oldest brother, Blake, a 2001 state qualifier.

Severson bested those marks as a freshman, knowing then that he just might have a bright future ahead in the event with deep family ties.

But once he focused on simply being himself - and stopped judging his results based on the family’s past - he found out just how good he could be.

“I stopped caring about saying I wanted to be someone else and said I wanted to be myself,” Severson said. “I’m not going to follow in someone else’s footsteps. I’m going to make my own.”

Sitting in the stands watching another son compete at state brought back memories for Blair’s father.

“It’s neat,” Doug Severson said. “We tried to let our boys do their own thing. We kind of steered him toward this, and fortunately he and (Blake) enjoyed pole vault. Once he decided to put forth the time and effort, we’ve really supported him.”

Severson cemented his spot in the family’s vaulting lore with his win Friday, though it certainly wasn’t easy.

He nearly went out at 13-6, missing his first two attempts before easily clearing his final vault.

Severson made his first attempt at 14 feet to ensure at least a silver medal and made his initial jump at 14-3. When Iraan’s Hewitt Holmes missed his final vault, Severson let out a victorious fist pump.

He had the bar moved to 15 feet and narrowly missed all three attempts.

“I’m happy I got the gold medal,” said Severson, only the second Holland athlete to win gold at state, “but with how high I’ve been over 15 feet the last two meets, it’s kind of frustrating.”

Severson will get back to work at clearing 15 feet quickly; the only time he plans not to vault is for two months during football season.

Still, to come from beginning vaulter just a few years ago to state champion as a sophomore is a meteoric rise. And a golden cap on the family’s pole vaulting history.

“We hope he understands the magnitude of this,” his father said. “This is something for him to build on. Next year, the gold medal is great, but I think he’s got his sights set a little bit higher."

Return to “Texas”