Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Kera Bartlett Article (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:19 am

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 918492.htm

Faberman prize goes to student Bartlett

By Nancy Zackler

Piedmont High School senior Kera Bartlett was awarded the Robert D. Faberman Memorial Prize by the Piedmont Educational Foundation.

The award is named for a 1979 PHS graduate who was killed in a collision with a drunken driver. Faberman was a student at UC Berkeley.

The Faberman family and friends established a fund with the Piedmont Educational Foundation to honor the memory of Robert Faberman and to remind the public of the inherent risks of driving while intoxicated. The award is presented each year to a member of the senior class who has exhibited excellence in public speaking.

Principal Pamela Bradford noted that Bartlett demonstrated "an exceptional facility for using language" not only writing thought-provoking editorials as editor for the school newspaper, The Piedmont Highlander, but also as the pretrial attorney for the defense at Piedmont High's State Mock Trial championship appearance.

Bradford said Bartlett is committed and passionate about both activities and is involved in campus life in many other ways. Bartlett was selected to be on the districtwide Respect Committee to provide a student voice and perspective.

Bartlett and her father, Mike Bartlett, are possibly the only father-daughter PHS record holders in track and field. Mike Bartlett set a PHS record in the 400 meters in 1974 and Kera Bartlett has broken the PHS record in the pole vault at least seven times, raising it to 11 feet, 9 inches. She was ranked eighth in the state and 23rd in the country earlier this season.

Bartlett is enthusiastic and proud of the experiences she has had at the high school. She cited being part of the championship mock trial team and school newspaper as areas of personal growth.

"I have grown so much by being involved in both mock trial and the school newspaper," she said. "Through these experiences, I have enhanced my abilities to 'speak on my feet,' comfortably talk in front of groups, whether they are my peers or adults, as well as concisely write and deliver arguments."

Bartlett, the daughter of Marti Pozzi and Mike Bartlett, will attend Occidental College in Los Angeles in the fall, most likely majoring in diplomacy and world affairs. Not surprisingly, Bartlett will continue to pursue pole vaulting.

Return to “California”