World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brysun Stately Article (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:26 am

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/st ... 9286c.html

Setting her sights even higher
By Quwan Spears -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, June 5, 2005

Cordova High School's Brysun Stately had just won the girls pole vault title at the 87th CIF State Track and Field Championships Saturday at Hughes Stadium.
But a gold medal, a convincing victory over a talented field and the recognition of being the first girl from the Sac-Joaquin Section to win the event weren't enough.

Despite receiving strong encouragement from a crowd of more than 11,000, Stately failed at her lone attempt to break the national record.

"I guess with me I'll never be satisfied," she said after posting a winning vault of 13 feet, 4 inches. "I always want more. Once I set a list of goals, I want to accomplish them."

The national record of 13-9, set May 14 by Mary Saxer of Lancaster, N.Y., is the last goal on her list.

Stately, who came into the meet with the state's best jump this season at 13-6, missed on one attempt at 13-9 1/4 to close the competition.

She was allowed just one try because she missed on two attempts at 13-8, which would have tied the state record set by Shayla Balentine of Morro Bay in 2001.

Although disappointed about the miss, Stately will have two more shots at the mark in the coming weeks.

"The way I see it, I have still have two more meets left," she said. "I still have Golden West (June 12 at Folsom High), and if I don't get it at that meet, then I have the Junior Nationals (June 23-26 in Carson). I'm going to try until I run out of opportunities."

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:12 pm

Does anyone here know how "after-state meet" competitions are considered for high school records if the vaulter has already graduated from high school at the end of that school year?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:48 pm

bvpv07 wrote:Does anyone here know how "after-state meet" competitions are considered for high school records if the vaulter has already graduated from high school at the end of that school year?

I believe you have until August 31st after your senior year to set national records.

State records vary by state. Some states only count records at the state meet, others only count records at school meets during the school year. My home state (WA) counts records until August 31st after the senior year.

dafox
PV Whiz

Unread postby dafox » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:06 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
bvpv07 wrote:Does anyone here know how "after-state meet" competitions are considered for high school records if the vaulter has already graduated from high school at the end of that school year?

I believe you have until August 31st after your senior year to set national records.

State records vary by state. Some states only count records at the state meet, others only count records at school meets during the school year. My home state (WA) counts records until August 31st after the senior year.

Kinda, but no. The marks considered the 'national record' by the NHSF must be set during a state santioned meet (ie: you're jumping with your HS uniform on). Many people have taken the Track n Field News Bests marks (which are counted until the end of summer) as a 'national record'. It really depends on who's talking about what.
Kira Costa's 13-8.5 "national record" was never put down on any of our State's recordbooks for all of our meets (she came from CA, we're in CA) since she did it at the Golden West Invite, competeing unattached. The record was left as Shayla's 13-8 in the books. It is now officially Saxer's at 13'9, since she did it competeing for her school.

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:10 pm

So that means that Brysun can't get the national record (if she did jump that high) because it is after the normal high school season?

dafox
PV Whiz

Unread postby dafox » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:14 pm

this weekend? correct. she had 1 jump at it last weekend at CA State Finals, and came up well short (almost landed in the box). The best she could do now is the same that Kira did.. set a T&F News Best mark.

And even if one of the underclass girls jumped it this weekend, it wouldnt count cause they're not competing for their high school.

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:23 am

dafox wrote:came up well short (almost landed in the box)

This has scared me before when she has vaulted this season :eek: :dazed:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:55 am

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/st ... 4360c.html

Parker, Cordova hit new heights
The Lancers' first-year track coach is rewarded with a state champion.
By Bill Paterson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, June 9, 2005

Roger Parker couldn't have asked for a better debut as the head track and field coach at Cordova High School.
Some coach the finer points of sprinting, jumping and throwing and never are rewarded with a state champion performance.

But in becoming the first girl from the Sac-Joaquin Section to win a state pole vault title, the Lancers' Brysun Stately also gave Parker the opportunity to tell folks for years to come that he helped coach a state titlist.

Stately went 13 feet, 4 inches Saturday in the CIF State Track and Field Championships at Hughes Stadium, becoming Cordova's fourth individual state track champion.
She also has a state best of 13-6, set in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division II championships, and hopes to challenge national leader Mary Saxer's mark of 13-9 at the Golden West Invitational on Sunday at Folsom High School. Saxer is a senior from Lancaster, N.Y.

Parker isn't betting against Stately.

"She never ceases to amaze me," Parker said. "She's been clearing some impressive heights."

When Stately hit the 13-6 mark, Parker said she cleared the bar by several inches.

"She can jump higher," Parker said. "But that mark at the section meet surprised even me because she cleared it so easily."

Like Parker, this was Stately's first year on the Cordova track team. She transferred from Bella Vista, where she played field hockey in the fall and hadn't made much of an impact in the pole vault as a sophomore or junior at the Fair Oaks school.

"What was nice about her is that she has a great work ethic," Parker said. "She always wanted to do four events at every meet."

Return to “California”