World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jamie Feaster Article (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:51 pm

http://www.thereporter.com/sports/ci_2755347

UCD opens vault for 'Dog
Vaca's Feaster takes aim at state, then the Aggies
By Brian McCaleb/Sports Writer

Vacaville's Jamie Feaster needs to jump 14 feet, 11 inches to qualify for state. (David Martin Olson/The Reporter)

Jamie Feaster stood by the pole vault runway at UC Davis' Toomey Field talking about how he was disappointed that he only cleared 14 feet, 11 inches in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division I finals.
When he learned that he'd only cleared 14-5, Feaster was at a loss for words, which is slightly out of character for the outgoing Vacaville High School senior.

"Now I just feel stupid," Feaster said stone-faced after Bulldog vault coach Jeff Baker confirmed Feaster's final mark.

No sweat. Feaster will have plenty of chances to reach new heights at "the Toom." Feaster recently accepted a scholarship to attend the University of California campus and compete for UCD vault coach Trevor Boler and the Aggies.

"A lot of kids are searching for athletic scholarships but very few get one. When you have (a kid) that can do well athletically and academically it's very nice," Baker said. "It's nice to have a kid that can do both because sometimes you get one or the other."

Feaster's got the books covered. He said he's carried a 4.17 grade point average for the last two years.

After all, UC Davis isn't known for its lax entrance policies and has maintained it won't sacrifice those standards to recruit top athletes.

But nobody would mistake Feaster for a bookworm to look at him.

Long afternoons on the practice field outside Tom Zunino Stadium have tanned his skin so that, along with his blond mop, he looks like he's ready to grab a longboard, hit the surf and wait for the right set.

Feaster is equal parts Jeff Spicoli and Doogie Howser.

Feaster, who also played soccer for Vacaville, said he was introduced to the pole vault almost completely by accident.

"I didn't really like running that much and I wasn't big enough to be a thrower," Feaster said. "So I just kind of found my way over to the pole vault area."

Baker said he didn't bring any experience coaching the event, and has learned on the fly.

"I first got (Feaster) when he was a sophomore. He worked real hard and was a lot of fun to have around. I was new coaching pole vault and I didn't know anything," Baker said. "I think he knew more about it than I did when I first got out there and I've been trying to catch up."

Feaster's personal record as a freshman was 10-6. Now it's 15-6. He plans on qualifying for the state meet since the at-large mark is only 14-11.

He'll need to clear that height at the masters meet next week, although he has already done it several times this season. His new goal is 16-0, but, "just to PR again would be nice."

Feaster said UCD's decision to become a Division I school made taking the money an easy decision to make.

"It was the main thing that influenced my decision," Feaster said. "I really like the sound of that: 'DI sports."'

It wasn't the only reason, however.

"My mom wouldn't be able to handle me (moving away), my little sister too," Feaster joked. "They'd be pretty upset so I'm sticking around."

Feaster said the details of his future efforts aren't crystal clear yet. He'll be admitted to the social sciences department, but he doesn't know what he wants to study yet.

What he wants to avoid is a lot easier to pin down.

"I hate math," Feaster said. "Ever since we stopped doing addition and subtraction it hasn't been any fun."

Feaster does have a rough idea of how he'd like things to go when it comes to next season and the rest of his collegiate pole vault career.

"Just be at a point where I'm happy with what I'm doing - getting better and better," Feaster said. "Someday I want to be placing at the big NCAA meets."

Something about pole vaulters: they're closer to reaching lofty goals than the rest of us

cstary
PV Wannabe

Unread postby cstary » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:07 pm

"Just be at a point where I'm happy with what I'm doing - getting better and better," Feaster said. "Someday I want to be placing at the big NCAA meets."

He should redshirt his first year then, because UCD is on probabtion for another two years . . . i.e. they won't be able to compete in conference of Nationals until that's over. I hope he knows that.

Return to “California”