Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Ana Papadakis Article (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 06, 2005 11:21 am

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/prep/ ... 50187.html

Pride of Papadakis soars
Ana Papadakis, once a gymnast, now is vaulting with a pole and dominating the Bay League.
By Trent Loomis
Daily Breeze
It's that time again, the days are getting longer, the flowers are in full bloom and another Papadakis is making the news.

Peninsula senior Ana Papadakis is following in the athletic footsteps of her brother and cousins, which means opposing pole vaulters should beware.

Papadakis has an unprecedented four-year unbeaten streak in the Bay League to go along with three league championships. She will attempt to win a fourth at today's league championships at West Torrance High.

One could point out that Papadakis excels simply because of her last name, but that is not the case.

Papadakis' prowess comes from her strong work ethic and her previous athletic experience as a gymnast. Papadakis was an avid gymnast growing up and it wasn't until a friend asked her to accompany her to pole vault tryouts that she thought about track and field.

Being a good friend, Papadakis went to the tryouts and not only made the team, but became the best in the area.

Once she became the best, she has stayed the best due to her diligent work ethic and the help from pole vault coaches Greg Miguel and Anthony Curran, who is the pole vault coach at UCLA, where she plans to enroll in September.

While at Peninsula, Papadakis attributes most of her success to Miguel, who not only teaches her the physical aspect of the event such as technique, but the mental aspect of it such as seeing the jump before it happens.

"Greg has been here all four years that I've been here," Papadakis said. "He's just so amazing and he puts so much time into the sport--I love him."

Miguel gives Papadakis the mental fortitude during practice and games, but a lot of her confidence stems from the support of her family.

Her family attends all of her meets and has taken the time to see her perform. That enthusiasm and support has translated into her success in the pits.

"Ana has a family that is always pushing her and giving her confidence and mental toughness," Miguel said. "That support is her greatest asset."

Having the support from her family is very important to Papadakis' success, but it will only take her so far.

"It's nice not to compare yourself, but to have your family there to encourage you," Papadakis said. "We are all very close and have a good sense of humor, so we can all talk about it with each other."

Her physical ability combines with the confidence and produces a force to be reckoned with.

So far, her highest vault is 11 feet, 7 inches and she almost cleared 11-9, but her goal before the season is over is to break the school record of 12-2.

"Getting 12-2 is a matter of me putting everything together for one meet, feeling good, not being injured and having perfect conditions," Papadakis said. "I must also be felling internally good and strong."

In addition to her on-the-field accomplishments, Papadakis has a full plate of activities such as being the Commissioner of Girl's Athletics, ASB, Varsity Voices Choir and singing in Women's Jazz.

If those activities, plus her pole vaulting and homework weren't enough, she also works at the family restaurant, Papadakis Taverna, on weekends keeping her plate as well as others' full.

"She's a wonderful girl," Peninsula coach Randy Beardslee said. "I don't know how she manages her time and is able to excel because she is heads and shoulders above everyone in the Bay League."

After her high school career is over, Papadakis will be heading to Westwood to join Curran on UCLA's pole vault squad.

"I just want to see where college takes me," she said. "Fortunately, I'll be close to my family so they can continue to see me compete."

Return to “California”