World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Granite Bay Vaulters Withdraw from Woodland Invitational

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:22 pm

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/Stories/0, ... 22,00.html

Trying to avoid a rain delay

Woodland Invitational plays waiting game

By HANK VERESCHZAGIN/Democrat sports staff

Woodland High School track and field coach Chuck Bruns has been hounding the weather forecasts throughout the week.

Taking charge of the Wolves program this year, this is his first invitational.

"This is the earliest I've left all week," Bruns joked Friday night at about 8 p.m. "As of right now, it looks great. I really have to thank Short Parker for all the work he did to get this track set up for the invitational."

Bruns gathered all of his Wolves on Friday and had them survey the track.

"I told them, 'This is the best dirt track in all of California,'" Bruns said. "We really couldn't do something like this with the weather like it is without Short Parker."

Bruns said even if it rained Friday night up to 3/4 of an inch, Parker's setup of the track would allow the meet to continue.

"It really takes a whole week of rain before the track gets spongy," Bruns said. "That's all because of Short's expertise. He's the curator of the track."

Even though Parker may be lauded as one of the men who helps every year to make sure Woodland Community Stadium is in prime condition, poor weather has scared off a few competitors.

Granite Bay's pole-vaulting duo of Scott Roth, who went 16-feet, 4-inches and won the CIF State Meet as a sophomore, and teammate Ryan Schuler, who won the state title as a freshman two years ago, pulled out early on Friday.

"It was a heart-breaker," Bruns said. "They had some marquee value."

One of the biggest concerns for today's meet is the forecast of lightning.

"That would be a committee decision," Bruns said. "We have to think a lot about the safety of the athletes. There's a lot of metal out there."

Casa Roble's throwing team pulled out of the competition. Bruns said the Rams had at least one shot putter who had reached 56 feet this season.

"That would have been a good challenge for Joey (Baer)," Bruns said.

Counting Woodland, 21 teams and nearly 600 athletes will compete today.

All events commence at 9:30 a.m.

"Getting 21 teams is pretty good for our tournament on a dirt track," Bruns said. "Concerns of weather will highlight those renewed messages (about an all-weather track)."

Woodland's Invitational faces direct competition from Placer, which is also hosting today. The Hillmen have an all-weather track.

"They'll have their meet," Bruns said.

Joel Harper is coming off setting a personal-best 13-6 at Placer in the pole vault.

Alex Fernandez could challenge in the hurdles and pole vault. Fernandez equaled her personal best in the 100-meter hurdles earlier in the week.

"I'm hoping to take her to the Stanford Invitational with some other people next week," Bruns said.

Jill Camarena will serve as the honorary throws referee today.

"We're hoping to have a throws fest," Bruns said.

Besides Baer, who has been doing well in the shot put and discus, could continue to post numbers that could be good enough to qualify for the Bob Mathias Relays at Fresno State.

"He wants to compete in track next year," Bruns said of the senior.

Baer will be joined by Danny Lambert and Alan Tombleson.

Catlyn Legault continues to show steady improvement in both.

Woodland will be paced by sophomre Russell Darling, who is the Wolves No. 1 miler.

Ana Estrada broke through the six-minute barrier and Madison Bencomo is on her heels.

Jumping brothers Jay Miguel and Sammy Miguel are threats in the long and triple jumps.

Jay is in the 40-foot range in the triple while Sammy is nearing the fros-soph long jump record and nearing 40 feet.

Return to “California”