Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Construction Accident Leaves Track Unusable

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:22 pm

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/monte ... 159229.htm

Making the best of a bad situation

A construction-zone disaster has left Monterey's track almost unusable, but interest in program remains high

By JOHN DEVINE

Herald Staff Writer

He tried training his athletes in the school hallways until teachers began voicing their displeasure.

Bob Matulac reluctantly turned to the streets off-campus.

The on-campus dirt track where the Monterey head track coach's squad of 95 athletes should be is a construction-zone disaster.

As a result, the Toreadores track team doesn't have a full facility to train on.

"Sometimes we can use the far end of the track, if it's not under water," Matulac said. "We'll try and get over to use (Monterey Peninsula College) from time to time."

Which is easier said than done since the track program has no money for transportation and just two coaching stipends.

"Right now, parents are providing the funding," Matulac said.

Part of the track along the first turn was demolished in January when the school district began making the school's handicap access near the track.

When a water pipe broke under the football field, the track was flooded.

"We're kind of fighting through it," said Monterey sprinter Alex Harvin. "We're willing to work with it. There's really nothing we can do about it."

With no track, no transportation and just two paid coaches to work with 95 kids competing in 16 different events, talk of cutting the sport did creep up.

"That was an option," Matulac said. "But not to me."

Apparently 95 kids had the same feeling. This year's turnout is the largest in four years.

"They're so courageous to come out and attempt to run on this garbage," Matulac said. "I admire them."

With such a large turnout, Matulac has had to be inventive just to conduct stretching as a team.

Yet, while the Toreadores have trained as much as they can on makeshift surfaces, Matulac learned the importance of a track at the team's first meet last week in Soquel.

"We got on the track and the kids were shell-shocked," Matulac said. "It was almost as if it was too long."

As the weather gets better, more trips to MPC are planned. Matulac hopes Monterey will be able to use the track at CSU-Monterey Bay as well.

"We're not able to do the workouts we should be," Harvin said. "We should be doing 400s. Instead we're doing 150s."

What might turn out to be a bigger disability for Monterey is that some of the athletes who compete in field events may get their practice only at meets.

There is a platform across the long- and triple-jump pit for heavy equipment to run across. The shot put ring is covered in dirt.

"We can still pole vault," Matulac said. "And the discus ring is usable."

When trucks aren't parading around the track, the Toreadores have been able to use the start and back turns.

"Yeah, but the back stretch is so bumpy from the trucks, I can't have kids turning ankles," Matulac said.

Still, Matulac has reason to be optimistic. No one has quit. And he has two of the premier sprinters in the Monterey Bay League in Markus McFolling and Harvin.

McFolling, the Herald's All-County Offensive Player of the Year in football, is the defending MBL 100-meter champion, having dipped under 11 seconds.

The senior also ran a leg on the Central Coast Section qualifying 400-meter relay team that included Harvin, who missed part of last year with a hamstring injury.

As a freshman two years ago, Harvin broke 50 seconds in the 400. The use of the discus ring should benefit Pancho Godinez, who uncorked one throw 133 feet last year.

"I hope in the long term, something good will come out of this," Matulac said. "I hear there is a new track on the horizon."

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:19 pm

s*** I thought ours was bad

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:22 am

Thats an absolute shame.
And for any of you who havent been to Monterey - its AWESOME. Such a beautiful place, and right next to Leguna Seca (famous race track in case you didnt know). Monterey also boasts one of the best/nicest aquariums in the world (and the only one that has a great white shark). They also have more car and motorcycles shows than you could believe - its absolutely nuts to go downtown and only see Ferraris in every single parking spot (they have a Lamborghini day as well). Its also right next door to Carmel (I think it used to take me 5 minutes to get to Carmel Beach).
I would have thought with all that money there, they would have good facilities... A little odd.

(PS - I was stationed in Monterey for a year and loved it there - thus the propaganda)
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

Return to “California”