World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Kyle Ballew looking forward to World Junior Meet

Unread postby PV Official » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_15529198

Such great heights
By Erin Richards Staff Writer
Posted: 07/15/2010 10:29:23 PM PDT
Updated: 07/15/2010 10:32:25 PM PDT

Valley College pole vaulter Kyle Ballew may not stand out in a lineup of all-star athletes, but his drive, passion and dedication to the sport sets him apart, allowing him to win some well-earned titles.
Ballew, an El Camino Real of Woodland Hills graduate, surprised everyone when he captured the national title June 24 at the USA Track and Field Junior Outdoor Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, exceeding his personal best and school record by clearing 16 feet, 8 3/4 inches.
"It was a little bit surprising. I wasn't ranked the best going in the meet, but I just keep fighting though," Ballew said.
Ballew, the 2009 City Section champion who finished fourth in the state his senior year with a mark of 15-11, said he fed off the energy of the crowd to perform his best.
"The environment and ambiance gets me going," Ballew said. "It wakes me up and helps me perform."
For Ballew, the glory of the title comes second to making the U.S. junior national team - joining fellow vaulter Mark Thomas of Lorena, Texas - and qualifying among the 25 entries for the IAAF World Junior Championships beginning Monday in Moncton, Canada.
Ballew is confident that he will jump just as well, if not better, when the qualifying rounds begin Tuesday.
"For me, this was bigger than anything I had ever experienced and it was happening so quickly, it was almost overwhelming. But it's really exciting for me," he said. "I am hoping to jump better than at nationals, because I know I'm capable of that."
Ballew came into the junior national competition after placing fourth at the California Community College state championships May 22 with a modest clearance of 15-8. He secured the title after clearing 16-8 3/4 on his first try, with Thomas needing two attempts.
"It was a little bit of a pipe dream in the beginning," said Brooks Morris, Ballew's personal coach and a former vaulter and assistant at USC.
"I knew he was ready to compete, but there were a lot of marks that were bigger than his and kids that were more experienced, but he went in there and competed really well. He basically clawed and scratched his way to a win."
Ballew's dedication to pole vaulting has helped him realize some other dreams, including the ability to transfer to a four-year university next year following the conclusion of his sophomore season at Valley College.
Morris credits Ballew's dedication to vaulting as a turning point for him.
"If he didn't pick up the pole vault, he wouldn't have gone to college," Morris said. "Now he's getting impeccable grades and has the pick of schools. He's really turned his life around."
Ballew's dedication is clear even in his transportation. He takes a 30-minute bus ride to and from his home in West Hills to school for class and practice five times a week, along with another bus ride over an hour to Burbank for work twice a week.
His job in Burbank at a track and field supply store helps to earn him poles which can cost nearly $500 each.
"It's definitely a labor of love to get better at what you love doing," Morris said. "He's a hard worker and good student of his sport, and it has brought him from 12 to 17 feet in two years, which is as far as you are going to find someone develop anywhere."
Ballew's goals don't end at the international competition. According to Valley College men's coach Francois Wolman, Ballew could even be looking at competing for a spot in the U.S. Olympic Trials in 2012.
"He's got big goals," Wolman said. "He wants to break into the 17 (-foot) bracket, and the junior college national record. If he does that, he could leave his mark."
The national junior college record is 17-9, set in 1991 by Tim James of Texas' South Plains College. Much like his performance in Iowa, Ballew is determined to continue to raise the bar in Canada and the future.
"To have big goals keeps any athlete going," Ballew said. "(The Olympics) would take a lot of work, but anything is possible at this point. Two years ago my best was 13 feet and now I'm in an international competition. I just have to stay focused and we'll see."

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Kyle Ballew looking forward to World Junior Meet

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Way to represent LA Unified, Kyle!

John, Kyle has jumped at the Golden West meet up here. I can't remember if you worked those times.

Return to “California”