Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Newport Harbor vaulters break out (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 am

http://dailypilot.com/articles/2009/06/ ... 052309.txt

Newport vaulters break out

Four sophomores have brought success for the Sailors in the pole vault, leading into today’s CIF Southern Section finals.

By Steve Virgen
Updated: Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
There are No comments posted. View Comments

It’s the event in track and field that could be considered an extreme sport. But that doesn’t seem to faze four Newport Harbor High sophomores.

They just go about their business and compete in the pole vault. Sure there’s danger, but that’s not the main storyline for Mark Sakioka, Max Van Bergh, Allison Krugman and Siara Fabbri. They’re all about success and keeping the Sailors known for their pole vaulting.

This is not just about one girl grabbing attention for her cover-model looks all over the Internet. That’s a thing of the past. Allison Stokke is now at UC Berkeley.

Enter the Newport Harbor quartet. They’re four of 29 local athletes competing in today’s CIF Southern Section Championships. They qualified for the finals at last week’s Division II preliminaries at Moorpark High.

Sakioka is seeded No. 2 after clearing 14 feet last week. That mark came close to his personal record, which is 14-1 and broke the 26-year-old frosh-soph record at Newport Harbor, according to vault coach Fritz Howser. Sakioka finished second in the Sunset League.

He’s been pushed by Van Bergh, who has a PR of 14-0. The two work well together, Howser said. Van Bergh cleared 13-6 last week to qualify seventh.

On the girls’ side, Krugman (10-8) qualified second in the pole vault and Fabbri (10-2) will be seeded third. Krugman’s matched her personal record, which she cleared to grab second place in the Sunset League finals. Fabbri, who has battled various injuries this year, is right behind with a PR of 10-7. She finished third in the Sunset.

The quartet, like the rest of the competitors in the section finals, are vying to advance to the Southern Section Masters meet May 29 at Cerritos College. The top nine regardless of division move on. From there the top five go on to the state meet June 5 at Buchanan High in Clovis.

Newport Harbor junior Cecil Whitside, who finished sixth in the state and won the Masters title last year, will try to defend his title in Division II today.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Re: Newport Harbor vaulters break out (CA)

Unread postby Andy_C » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 am

Just wondering, does anybody know the high school records for Orange County? I'm pretty sure Stokke would still hold the record in the area (please correct me if I'm wrong) but how about the guys?

I've got some younger cousins interested in picking up a new sport. While they haven't directly mentioned an interest in track and field - let alone pole vault, but it seems to me that the OC is a bit of a hot spot for the vault so maybe I'll recommend it to them. I admit I'm a bit biased when it comes to my selection of sports but why not give it a shot eh? :)
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

higherflyer
PV Nerd
Expertise: College, High School, Club Coach

Unread postby higherflyer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 am

Allison Stokke 13*7 2007
Michael woepse 16-9 2009
Kevin Magula
Higher Flyers, Inc.
Higherflyers.org

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:18 pm

http://www.dailypilot.com/sports/tn-dpt ... 5320.story

Newport Harbor High senior Mark Sakioka cleared 16 feet in the pole vault to win his flight at the Reno Pole Vault Summit Jan. 29.

Sakoika set a school record and grabbed the top mark in the state, his coach, Fritz Howser, said. The former record was set in 1987 by RW Henson at 15-7.

Sakioka nearly cleared 16-3 to finish the competition. His 16-foot clearance was quite an achievement. His previous personal record was 15-1, from last year.

Sakioka set the boys' frosh-soph record of 14-1 in 2009, his sophomore year. That record had stood since 1983, Howser said.

"His off-season training and commitment is evident in his early-season success," Howser said in an e-mail. "Now the hard work is ahead to go higher throughout the year."

Return to “California”