Stacey Jung 12-6 (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 am

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8992622?source=rss

Jung sets records on vault

Campolindo senior's 12-6 effort establishes school and local marks
By Phil Jensen
STAFF WRITER
Article Launched: 04/20/2008 02:57:59 AM PDT

As Campolindo High School track and field star Stacey Jung hit the mat on her first attempt at 12 feet, 6 inches in the girls pole vault Saturday at the Phillips-McCain Invitational at Campolindo, it was immediately apparent what she had achieved.
She yelled "Yes!" clapped her hands twice and threw her fists in the air with a huge smile on her face. In one attempt, she had set a region, school and personal record and pushed herself further into some rarefied company this season. Entering this weekend, only one other girl in the state had jumped higher than 12-0 (Emily Mattoon of Rancho Bernardo-San Diego, 12-8), according to DyeStatCal.com.
"I didn't feel (the bar). I felt like I was over it. That one felt good, felt clear," said the Harvard-bound Jung, who finished fifth in the event at the California Interscholastic Federation state championships last season.
Actually, the key to her performance in the event Saturday was how she handled a critical situation minutes earlier. She did not clear 12-0 on her first two attempts, and faced a third attempt that would make a lot of people wilt. But Jung negotiated the height, nudging the bar slightly but not enough to cause it to fall.
"I have these desperation third attempts, when I know it's my last attempt to make it over and I know I can make it over so I try to get over however I can," said Jung, a 5-foot-41/2 senior who is technically proficient in the event.
"She's one tough cookie," Campolindo assistant coach Scott Brady-Smith said. "Her technique is really superior. That's all Randy (Kramasz, Jung's club coach)."
Moreover, Jung had three good attempts at 13-0 and got her upper torso over the bar on two of them, which is a good harbinger for the future. Jung entered the competition at 10-6 and cleared that height, 11-0 and 11-6 on her first attempts before the clutch clearance at 12-0.
That wasn't the only event in which Jung excelled Saturday. In the triple jump, she leaped a school-record 35-93/4 to win the competition by over two feet.
"It felt good. My phases felt stronger than they had been," Jung said.

Return to “California”