World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

It's a Stark family tradition (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:14 pm

http://www.theacorn.com/news/2007/0719/Sports/075.html

It's a Stark family tradition
Oak Park pole vaulter qualifies for Junior Olympics
By Thomas Gase tgase@theacorn.com

BILL SPARKES/Acorn Newspapers HIGH FLYER- Connor Stark vaulted over 10 feet at Cerritos College.
Connor Stark is moving up in the world in more ways than one.

After receiving some advice from his pole vaulting coaches, Stark, a soon-to-be eighth-grader at Media Creek Middle School in Oak Park, recently went from competing with a 12-foot pole to a 13-foot pole.

The result was a leap of more than 10 feet at the Southern California Association Junior Olympics Championships at Cerritos College. It was an effort that helped Stark earn a trip to the United States Track and Field Federation's National Junior Olympics in the 13 to 14year-old age group. The Junior Olympics begin July 26 at Mount San Antonio College.

"I used the new pole for the first time on that jump," Stark, 13, said. "It was about 20 pounds heavier and harder to bend, but it felt like I got flung more when I jumped. I knew it was a good leap, but I was still surprised when I learned I made the Junior Olympics."

Stark's success may not come as much of a surprise. His dad, Dale, pole vaulted in high school and his older sister, Aubrey, recently graduated from Oak Park High and will now pole vault for UCLA this fall.

Despite a family history of success in track and field, Stark's first love was hockey, which he recently quit in order to spend more time on the track.

"Hockey was more of a fun sport I played because I had a lot of friends that also played," Stark said. "I do like team sports because of the friends you meet, but I thought pole vaulting was a little more for me because it's more of an individual sport."

Stark said he decided to try pole vaulting four years ago after watching his sister compete at Oak Park.

"The first couple times I pole vaulted it was kind of embarrassing. I would just fall into the pit and not clear anything," Stark said. "Then finally in Reno one year, I cleared a 7-foot-6-inch jump and that was pretty exciting for me. I had a lot of family and random friends cheering me on."

Four years later, Stark is now enjoying even more success on the track as he recently leaped a personal best of 11 feet, 6 inches.

According to Dale Stark, who coaches pole vaulting for the Oak Park track team, his eighth-grade son is already leaping at heights that would place as top marks on the Eagles' team.

"Right now he needs to keep doing what he's doing, and he will be fine," the older Stark said.

"What he really needs is a growth spurt of about 20 pounds, and in height of about 6 inches. Although he is really good right now, I think he gets worried about getting put on a pedestal with his accomplishments. He is a pretty humble kid because of that."

Although the younger Stark doesn't like to brag, he is excited about competing in the Junior Olympics.

"In a way, I'm kind of nervous because I don't know if there is going to be a lot of people better than me or not," Stark said. "At the same time, it will be really cool to be in a real competition and see just where I stand. I feel like I've gotten faster and my plant is a lot better than it was a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to compete."

Return to “California”