Q&A with Vista pole vaulter Griffin Simmons (CA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to California

Moderators: vaultmd, bjvando, bvpv07

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Q&A with Vista pole vaulter Griffin Simmons (CA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _28_07.txt

On the edge: A Q&A with Vista pole vaulter Griffin Simmons

By: SCOTT BAIR - Staff Writer

Q: Do you have to be a little nuts to be a pole vaulter?

A: A little bit. You don't need to be totally crazy, but a little edge helps. Oh, and you definitely can't be afraid of heights.

Q: How was your learning curve? Did you pick it up pretty fast?

A: I think so. I set the school record for freshman, so I guess that was a sign. But in general, I just liked it. I used to get all the runway time I could. We all did. We would just hang out at the track and vault all day.

Q: Is there a certain rush involved with launching yourself 15 feet in the air on a fiberglass pole?

A: Definitely. But it's pretty hard to describe other than to say it's pretty awesome. There's nothing quite like clearing a new height in this sport. It's so difficult and so complex that when everything goes right, it's extremely satisfying.

Q: I've heard the Vista pole vaulters are a fun-loving, eccentric bunch. Are the rumors correct?

A: Everything you've heard is true.

Q: Is there any weird stuff you guys do?

A: We like to hang out inside the shed where you (shed) the (pole vault) pits. We hang out in the back of that place all the time. It's weird, but it's our spot. We like to lock ourselves in. It's kind of a pole vaulter's clubhouse.

Q: Does it help having other quality vaulters like Brett (Letourneau), Tony (Gross) and Aaron (Aguinaldo) on your team?

A: It's a huge help. They really push me. I like it. It's a lot more fun than vaulting by myself. Plus, our coach (Peter Brooks) vaults with us, too. He pushes us as well and is always around to get us through a rough spot or help with technique. It's not always like a coach-athlete thing either. Sometimes we just hang out and see who can go the highest.

Q: Coach Brooks can vault too? Is it a bonus to have a coach that not only can explain how to do it, but show you as well?

A: It's a huge bonus. But we can get a little competitive sometimes, too. I just tied his personal best (15 feet, 4 inches) here (at the CIF San Diego Section finals). He's kind of upset at me for that (laughing). Hopefully I'll break it soon.

Q: You had a great day at the finals and didn't miss until you reached 15-4. What was so special about this meet?

A: I moved up to a bigger pole. That seemed to help. And, I don't know. If there is such thing as a zone, I was probably in it today.

Q: Ever get nervous before a competition?

A: Not usually. It's not really my nature. ÃÂ

Return to “California”